Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Art of Electronics Exercise 2.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all:

I'm working independently through "The Art of Electronics" 2nd Ed. I have a question about Exercise 2.9 (p. 84)

The exercise states:
"Verify that an 8degC rise in ambient temperature will cause a base-voltage-biased grounded emitter stage to saturate, assuming that it was initially biased for Vc = 0.5Vcc."

My solution.

From text page 81, we have
Ic = Ic0 exp(ΔVbe/25mV) (eqn 1)
ΔVbe = (-2.1mV/degC) ΔT(degC) (eqn 2)

So, substituting 2 into 1:
Ic = Ic0 exp(-ΔT(degC)/11.9) (eqn 3)

Roughly, for the collector biased to half the supply voltage, we will have Vc0 = 0.5 Vcc = Vcc - Ic0 Rc => Ic0 = 0.5 Vcc/Rc
Roughly, for saturation, we have the collector near ground, so Ic = Vcc/Rc

Thus, using eqn 3 with Ic = Vcc/Rc, and Ic0 = 0.5 Vcc/Rc, I get ΔT = -8.2degC. If a temperature rise caused saturation, I would expect ΔT = +8.2degC. However, the negative sign would seem to indicate that a FALL in temperature actually leads to saturation, which is not what the problem statement says I should find. So, what am I doing wrong? Or else is this a mistake in the book?

Thanks!

Hello,

Delta(Vbe) = -2.1mV/K means that when you want to maintain the same diode current, you have to reduce Vbe with 2.1mV/K.

So if you needed, 0.6V at room temperature, you have to reduce to 0.6-(2.1m*8K) = 0.5832 V to compensate for the temperature rise of 8 degrees. However in your excersise the voltage remains (for example 0.6V). So when you increase Vbe from 0.5832 to 0.6V, the BE diode current almost doubles (factor e^(16.8m*40) = 1.96 ). The collector current will do the same (simple approximation).

So if the voltage drop across the collector resistor was 0.5*Vcc, now it becomes 0.5*1.96 = 0.98*Vcc. So the transistor is saturated as you have 0.02*Vcc CE voltage.

The reason for this behavior is that Is (diode saturation current) doubles every about 8..10 degrees temperature rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back