Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARRAY TO PHASED ARRAY ANTENNA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asad188

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my project is to design a microstrip phased array antenna in the microwave domain..ive designed the linear array of 4 elements and the power divider circuit nd now i have to convert it into the phased array...

i want to know the best way to do that..plzz help

nd if possible for anyone to simulate, i can attach the detailed geometry file of the array, so i can compare the reults..thx

Let's try to do so. What is geometry?

simply to convert them to phased array , u need to insert a phase shifters before the antennas , by controlling the the phase of each phase shifter m u can control the direction of the beam

another thing , that with the phase shifters u can add amplifiers 'variable gain amplifiers' , this will add another degree of freedom to control the beam and its sideband

Khouly

specifications:
resonance frequncy is 2.4 ghz,
regular 50 ohms transmission line,
substrate height = 1.6mm
relative permitivity = 4.28
loss tangent of tan δ =0.016

iAM attaching the dimensions of the antenna, its the basic unit of the array, 2 units are attached together to form the 4 element array..

at khouly:
i mean wht is the best phase shifter, tht can easily be fabricated and varied?

another thing is, is there any possibility tht power divider circuit can change the phase as well?

about the phase shifter there are many types active and passive
and u have diffenet methods , like tranmission line loaded varactor , reflection type and the vector modulator
the vector modulator is based on summing the I and Q of the signal to get the specific phase angle.

u need to know , the phase shift range in the phase shifter and then select the best architecture

khouly

Depending on your budget ( cost of the product) you an decide that.
Khouly has suggested many ways, passive will be cheaper & active will add a cost.

So you have to decide based on your assumptions, such as low cost product or accurate ( expensive) etc.

the problem is that, in our original design we had to add the active phase shifting components during the fabrication, but now we hav to simulate the phase shufting first.
any way of doing phase shiting in the hfss?

HFSS only passive structure is possible.
You can refere IEEE papers for reference for Passive phase shifters.

can u refer me to anyone particular? and if possible give the link plzz

the phase shifting can't be simulated by HFSS.

u need to use a circuit simulator like ADS , MWO , Ansoft Designer.

even Passive phase shifter need circuit simulator

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

wish those links are good for u

Khouly

asad188

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Search in google for IEEE or in IEEE explorer.
It is easy to get.

i found a design regarding the phase shifter, its a hybrid coupler wich provide 90deg phase shift at the one output..

im attaching the schematic for the basic design, i want to know:
1) is it appropriate regarding the phase shifting thing.
2) can it be designed on the hfss
3) and will i need the power divider if i use that in the array

You could simulate the phase shifter in HFSS or IE3D.The method is changeing the phase of different port(0,90,180,270),but it will need more simulated time.wish it will help to you.

with this design , u will get a phased array with constant direction , coz u have a constant phase shift due to the hybrid couplers

sure u can simulate it with HFSS or any EM simulation tool , coz u have only microwave components

but u will not be able to change the direction of the beam

Khouly

hi everyone,
I want to buil a 2.4Ghz phase shifter! because i'm making a project about beam control in an antenna array, i've been looking and cant find a good one!
So if anyone could give any link or book that could help me i'll be very gratefull!!!
Best regards,

jmga9

i had the same project, i tried a lot of designs but in my opinion the simplest way is to design a linear array with a series feed, tht gives a constant phase shift along the radiating elements and then for phase shifting u can vary the phase of input feed.

PM me ur email, ill mail u some relative thesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.