Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arm Microcontroller? What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fajarelektro

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

What is the advantage of having an Arm based microcontroller and without having it? And how do we measure and compare a performance from a microcontroller from others? By simplify see at the max clock speed?

Sorry my question is like very basic question, I am still learning about embedded systems.

Kindest Regards,

FE

ARM is the dominant core of micrcontrollers. They are very powerful compared to its size.
To compare different cores, you have to see their MIPS generated for the same application. (i.e. bench mark software)
--
Amr Ali

What do you mean by core? And what differs it from lets say PIC32 bit..

from the embedded programmer everything seems the same isn't it?

ARM company cells a core CPU only. Silicon vendors buy this core and add peripherals to it to make the final controller.
--
Amr Ali

Oh i see..from what i saw in their website,,most manufacturer of uc use arm core..why is it?

ARM has many good properties compared to its size.
I am just brain storming some with you:
1. Small Area
2. Low Power
3. Fast

Ya ARM is the 32bit controller leader now, but performance wise MIPS archi. is powerful enough to compete with ARM or another high end controllers.

Note
Core of PIC32 is MIPS M4K...

Status
Not open for further replies.