Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM micro-controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I had the following queries regarding the ARM micro-controllers. Hope someone will answer them.

1. Is LPC 2148 a decent Arm micro-controller to start with (keeping in mind the modern day ARM devices – I am interested in going up to the pro level)?

2. Can you pls suggest a book for C programming of ARM micro-controllers (not C++)? The Mazidi book follows C++.

3. Which starter kit do you suggest to try out the programs?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Hi

There are many ARM cores and
there are many ARM based hardware devices with a huge number of features.

I recommend to look for a chip that matches your application requirements.
Maybe you don't have a clear application in mind... then still choose chip with features you like.
Interfaces, ADC, DAC, PWM motor control, memory, display, ethernet, USB (slave, master, OTG),
.. and so on.

Klaus

Good C Language book is a classic -

1617745214745.png

Search the web....

There are arm cores with lost of analog on them as well, if that is of interest. Vref, DAC, OpAmps, Comparators,
mixers, muxes, 20 bit DelSig, 12 bit SAR, FILTER....see attached catalog of onchip resources for one specific family
of parts

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Component List (2).pdf
    183 KB · Views: 85

In my oppinion:

1 ) LPC2148 is based on the entry level ARM7TDMI architecture, so if you want a so called "pro" option, think about some core that support Linux.
2) This is rather a question of getting familiar with specific compiler particularites, Ansi C is a quite standard language.
3) Chose any one with a reasoable community behind, it is frustrating deal with platforms with no support available.

Good C Language book is a classic -

View attachment 168645

Regards, Dana.

Thanks for your reply. I was not looking for a C language book. I am looking for a book which teaches ARM micro-controller programming in C language (majority of the books use C++).
--- Updated ---

Thanks for your reply.

....think about some core that support Linux.

Since I am quite new to ARM micro-controllers, pls suggest an entry level ARM device which has Linux support (preferably uBuntu)

2) This is rather a question of getting familiar with specific compiler particularites, Ansi C is a quite standard language.

I was not looking for version of C; rather a book which teaches ARM programming in C.

pls suggest an entry level ARM device which has Linux support (preferably uBuntu)

I believe that, likewise me, most people here would reccomend the Raspberry PI, it has a nice cost considering the product as a whole, and has a large community behind, quickly providing answer to any question; however I'm not sure about the Linux distro they adopted - I presume become from the same Ubuntu's Debian derivative aswell.

The Raspberry Pi Boards have an ARM Cortex Processor, use a Linux operating system, have gcc C compiler, cost $35 U.S, and very large community support.

Status
Not open for further replies.