Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM JTAG to various JTAG devices.. help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushalpkk

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have done a lil bit programming using the JTAG and ARM processors.. but never understood them clearly.. i have a few questions!

1. can i use a JTAG programmer of any kind such as these to program any of the ARM controllers.. frm Atmel, samsung.. and so on??

## If Yes, can you please show me a link for how to do it! thanks..

2. can I use the above ARM JTAG devices to program any microcontroller with JTAG?

Thanks in advance!

In the ARM world, selection of a JTAG adapter is mostly a question of what's supported by your preferred tools, particularly for in-circuit debugging. The ARM JTAG functionality is a specified part of the ARM core and can be expected to work across different chip vendors. JTAG connectors may vary and require adapters.

Basic flash programming capabilities of different controllers are usually based on IEEE JTAG specifications and should work with different adapters. It's another question, if the available tools support it in an acceptable way. That't a reason why most developers prefer vendor specific JTAG adapters for each chip family. In production and test, mostly universal JTAG adapters are in use. But operating JTAG test functions is a business on it's own, there are companies like jtag.com that make there money with it.

It should also be mentioned, that some so-called JTAG interfaces of a µP have restricted functionality, only providing a kind of "poor-mans JTAG". Atmel ATmega e.g. needs to be placed first in the chain to utilize all JTAG features.

Status
Not open for further replies.