Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

are Z and X states synthesizable in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyboman

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to understand how Z and X states are synthesized in Verilog, if they are at all.

Lets say I have the following circuit:

Code Verilog - [expand]
case(sel)
     2'bzz : begin 
                 out = a; 
               end
     2'b0z : begin
                 out = b; 
               end
     2'b1z : begin  
                 out = c;
               end
     2'bz0 : begin  
                 out = d;
               end
     2'bz1 : begin  
                 out = a;
               end
     2'b00 : begin  
                 out = b;
               end
     2'b01 : begin  
                 out = c;
               end
     2'b10 : begin  
                 out = d;
               end
     2'b11 : begin  
                 out = a;
               end

default : begin
                  out = b
                end
endcase

My question is how will the actual circuit determine that input is in the Z state? As far as I understand simulators can understand Z state but in the real world Z is when the input is floating. So the circuit actually can't determine if one of its inputs is in the Z state. What I think is going to happen is that whatever state the input was before (1 or 0) going to Z state is going to be preserved on the input when it goes to the Z state. As far as X state, this state is unsynthesizable since in real world input is always going to be a 0 or a 1. Am I correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

So the circuit actually can't determine if one of its inputs is in the Z state.
Right. Z is only synthesizable on outputs. X is supported for definition of don't care.

Although not necessarily implemented by all synthesis tools, IEEE 1364.1-2002 IEEE Standard for Verilog Register Transfer Level Synthesis gives a general idea about X and Z support.
5.5 Support for values x and z

The value x may be used as a primary on the RHS of an assignment to indicate a don’t care value for synthesis.

The value x may be used in case item expressions (may be mixed with other expressions, such as 4’b01x0) in a casex statement to imply a don’t care value for synthesis.

The value x shall not be used with any operators or mixed with other expressions.

The value z may be used as a primary on the RHS of an assignment to infer a three-state driver as described in 5.4.

The value z (or ?) may be used in case item expressions (may be mixed with other expressions, such as 4’bz1z0) for casex and casez statements to imply a don’t care value for synthesis.

The value z shall not be used with any operators or mixed with other expressions.

So as far as my code goes, the inputs containing z will be considered as don't care. Am I correct?

I'm not very familiar with these constructs, but according to the linked standard excerpt, z would be used with casez. You should check in addition, if the constructs are supported by your synthesis tool. In my view, there's no particular purpose to use z state for don't care constructs in synthesizable Verilog, in so far the question is somehow academic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back