Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there new classes of uncommon amplifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceaser

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Amp. new classes

Hi all
i heard that there are some classes of amplifiers are non famous
like class D,F
any one knoe them and the circuits of each type

Re: Amp. new classes

I think the best reference out there is "RF Power Amplifiers, Classes A-S: How the Circuits Operate, How to Design Them, and When to Use Each" by N. Sokal. I think it is a 2-day course. The PDF might be on EDAboard -- I can't do a search at the moment since the search is disabled due to high server load. Can anyone help?

v_c said:
I think the best reference out there is "RF Power Amplifiers, Classes A-S: How the Circuits Operate, How to Design Them, and When to Use Each" by N. Sokal. I think it is a 2-day course. The PDF might be on EDAboard -- I can't do a search at the moment since the search is disabled due to high server load. Can anyone help?

Here is the link to the paper which v_c was referring to :

Bharath

tsb_nph,
that is exactly the one I was referring to. I know I saw it on EDAboard but did not download it so I did not have a copy handy. Thanks for pointing it out!

By the way, Sokal was the inventor of the Class-E amplifier (if I recall correctly). There is a famous paper by him from the 70s regarding that topic.

Best regards,
v_c

Sokal did invent class E and patented it. That kept it from being used commercially because the slight efficiency improvement did not have enough cost savings to cover the royalty costs. Now that the patent has expired it is being used more frequently.

Be aware that in the audio world class D means pulse width modulation. In the RF world this is called class S. The audio version was rarely used because the distortion could not be made low enough.

When you read the lecture notes pay close attention to Sokal admitting that class F is better than class E and is a second order type while class E is a first order type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back