Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there good method to analyze microstrip antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybcad

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to optimize microstrip patch antenna and antenna array,are there good methods to analyze the microstrip antenna quickly. the general software like IE3D ,ansoft HFSS ,CST is too slow to run in conjunction with optimizer. i want to use GA to optimize the antenna , can anyonegive me some advices?

thx

cybcad

I think IE3D speed is very good, and has a built-in optimizer. However you may try to reduce the number of cells per wavelength and sacrifice some accuracy during optimization. I used this method, but you should be careful in which antennas this would yield a good solution.

However for the antenna array, if it is large. I think IE3D does not include periodic boundary condidtions thus its simulation time will be too long. so you may try HFSS or CST with a unit cell and periodic boundaries.

Also there are some approximate relations for patch antenna design you might like to see it, I think there are some good books about these subjects such as

'CAD of Microstrip antennas for wireless applications' by Robert A. Sainati

which gives very fast methods for simulation but less accurate of course.

Hope this will help,

BR
Adel_48

In addition to Adel, there is a small program that analyzes patch antennas with that book.If you wish i can mail you.Just give me your mail address.

ansoft designer and microwaveoffice can simulate microstrip antenna .

Hi there, just a comment. In my expereice most EM simulations takes time. There is a lot of a calculation which must be done. Otherwise the results is not accurate.
Best Regards
Bruno

Hi brunok,

we are not talking about 10 msec simulation time here. but it is a some sort of "relative" fast and slow. in EM simulation 1 Minute per frequency is good. 2-3 days is bad. unlike spice simulators which when take 10 minutes we say oh. that is incredibly long (I am talking here about simple circuits of course)

BR
Adel_48

For microstrip patch antenna, i find that ansoft designer is much faster compared to HFSS. This is due to the different method of calculation. Designer is a planar EM simulator while HFSS is a 3D simulator. For microstrip antenna, its best to use designer. All the best

Hi, Adel_48:

I see your comment on that IE3D did not have periodical boundary condition or unit cell in 2005. In fact, IE3D did have the periodical boundary condition since IE3D 9.x?

The latest IE3D 12 has the FastEM Design Kit. We demonstrated how easy a user can design a UWB antenna in a movie using IE3D 12. Interested users can check it on www.zeland.com. Regards.

Best regads,

Hi Jian,

It would be very useful for me if it has periodic boundary conditions. But I asked a friend of mine and he told me he doesn't know about it. Would you please tell me where can I find it ?

Thanks a lot,
Adel

Hi, Adel:

It is discussed in Chapter 13(?) on array modeling and the Appendix.

Regards.

you do microstrip antenna,ansolft designer is better than HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back