Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any Thin-X clients for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gszczesz

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
5-6 years ago there was a move to thin-X clients. These programs let you send a graphical screen across a network using more advanced communication standards then X. This typically reduced traffic by 10X.

I want to log in to my machine at work remotely (linux) but I don't want to simply change my display to my home machine. I want to use some thin-X type client to improve performance and reduce bandwidth.

Anyone know of anything out there for Linux?

You can use vnc,and the windows manager with Twm

gszczesz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
you can use XDMCP (X Display Manager Control Protocol)
configure it on your host machine and you can login remotely
via a X server running on your computer

for more info checkout
www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/

I also suggest that using VNC is a good choice which is better than other solutoins. It will transmit the whole screen and establish a standalone xhost in the remote machine. You don't need to worry about the carsh of remote xhost happening in the remote machine. I have forgot XDMCP after using VNC at once. I think you will also get the same feeling with me...:)
Steps of using VNC are the following:
1.open shell using telnet or rsh at the remote host. Run 'vncserver' once.
2. Close the shell or leave it. run "vncviewer" at the local client.
3. Do anything you need or want at the screen of vnc. You can also set resolution and color depth of the desktop at your desire or need. Please note that if you want to do such changes, you need to assign options when you start to run "vncserver".
4. When ever you close the program of "vncviewer", you just only close the connection of remote host. So when you use vncviewer to connect the xhost again, you will see the opened programs still at there, so convenient, right ?
5. If you want to abandon the screen just type "vncserver -kill :SCREEN_NUMBER" and you will throw the desktop forever.
Hope this is helpful for you...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.