Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are NiCd batteries superior to NiMH batteries for emergency lighting unit use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Are NiCd batteries superior to NiMH batteries for emergency lighting unit use?..........

the following seems to suggest that it is...do you agree?

As discussed, i was looking into NiMH vs NiCd cells for our Emergency Lighting Unit......
Unfortunatley, NiMH is not looking suitable for Emergency use, because Emergency use requires the battery being charged up and then staying charged up by being continuously trickle charged.....NiMH cells cannot generally tolerate being trickle charged at a low rate without their capacity lifetime being too badly affected.
NiMH is smaller than NiCd, however, for a similar capacity (4000mAh) we would need a SAFT "VHT 7/5 Cs" NiMH cell, which is the same length as our current NiCd D cell (60mm). However, the NiMH "VHT 7/5 Cs" cell is slightly thinner at 22mm diamater, compared to our current NiCd's 33mm diameter.

NiMH , "VHT 7/5 Cs" Datasheet (SAFT):-
**broken link removed**

Its worth noting from the datasheet, that a "trickle" or "permanent" charge rate is not offered for this "VHT 7/5 Cs" NiMH cell, and this is likely to be because NiMH's cannot handle being trickle charged well.
However, SAFT do say that they are able to make custom built NiMH batteries for Emergency Use.
The only off-the-shelf SAFT NiMH cells whose datasheet offers a "trickle" or "permanent" charge rate , are those NiMH's whose cell size is 'D' and above. -(Though our current NiCd cell is a 'D' size).
The NiMH "VHT D" cell from SAFT offers a trickle charge rate, and four of these D cells would be needed for the Emergency light unit, instead of the current five NiCd 'D' cells being used. (-so the NiMH solution would mean saving the space of just one D cell (60mm high by 33mm diameter).

NiMH , "VHT D" Datasheet (SAFT):-
**broken link removed**

Other reasons for using NiCd over NiMH for emergency use are:-
#Lower self discharge rate.
#Better recovery from deep discharge such as may occur in prolonged mains outage
#Cheaper
#NiCd can generally be used with cheaper chargers..The NiMH cells cannot be simply charged at double the trickle charge rate, and then trickle charged therafter....unless they have cell
temperature monitoring during the double-trickle charge rate. NiCd's do not need cell temperature monitoring during the C/10 (double the trickle rate) charge.
#NiCd has better high temperature performance than NiMH
#Individual cell monitoring, is less likely to be necessary for a NiCd battery pack, than a NiMH battery pack, because NiCd Is more robust than NiMH.
#NiCd cells can be C/10 charged at below freezing temperatures....NiMH cells cannot be, unless they are custom built to do this.
#Though NiMH cells do exist for emergency use, they are not that much smaller than similar capacity NiCd's, because the NiMH cells that are "emergency-capable" have to have thicker seals and
bodies so that they can handle the trickle charge....all in all, NiCd looks best, and is not that much bigger than "emergency capable" NiMH's.

Conclusion that NiCd is the way forward for Emergency Lighting Battery.

...is this all correct?

Re: Emergency lighting unit battery .....NiCd is better than NiMH?

Conclusion that NiCd is the way forward for Emergency Lighting Battery.

...is this all correct?

Depends from many aspects.

What is production unit amount and where you plan to find and buy NiCd (new and good, not chinese recycled!)?

Where you plan to sell/export this with NiCd inside?

There is some regulations and obligations as manufacturer of device with NiCd about recycling.

What is time which device will spent in box/transport before market ?

Who is end user of this devices home, hospitals, offices, ..... there is some regulations about toxic materials, and special aprovements in some situations.

I think you can back and read your older threads about NiCd, and search for attachments.

:wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You must test batteries using almost full discharge to find out if there problems can occur after 1 year storage or something like that.
I had an issue with NiCd AA 4 pack battery of japanese company i very respect. Device was designed by industry professionals, using IC with trickle and fast charge modes, i checked PCB and found out no any flaws, but very clean route of reference design without any problems. New devices refused to charge, trickle did not do the trick even for 24hours of continously trickling. Only external charger was able to charge it, and if discharged original charging IC failed to charge it again if device used more time. I ordered some batterys for test and bought some NiCd and NiMh from supermarket to make DIY battery packs. The best result was obtained from chinese NiMH small 3AA 4 battery pack of reduced capacity. After all i found out that good sign if rechargables able to work after a rest for a short time, and enough current flows to turn on the device for few seconds afeter day of power off. If they dont there was a high chance of some trickle glitch, that was unable to pull voltage to fast charge value, so real charging never started.

p.s. If i design such system i add a power-on 3 seconds of DC charging voltage applied to battery, then switch to IC charger to make it decide how to charge it next. And also now i see how serial connection of rechargables (even battery pack from respectable company) can make bad tricks with trickle mode.

Last edited:

T

Now this is THE reason.......the toxicity of cadmium.
However, every country in the world allows NiCd batterys to be used for emergency lighting applications.
Then again, regarding toxicity, fluorescent tubes have a toxic chemical in them, (i have forgotten what it is) but look at the ceiling and notice that LED striplights have not replaced fluorescent ones yet.
In any case, ALL battery chemistries need to be disposed of in recycle centres, so having to do it for NiCd is not a problem particular to NiCd.

It will be good to check regulations about that if you plan massive production and exporting to some countries.

Make testing device with NiMh, LeadAcid, and NiCd. Do testing for various things, charging, discharging, high temperature impact (on direct sun), ....

;-)

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back