Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are electrocutaneous, FES, TENS same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin0228ca

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Are
electrocutaneous system, which is electrotactile
and
FES Functional Electrical Stimulation, which moves your muscle
and
TENS Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
same?

Is correct that they are all stimulated from electrical waves?
So if I build a function generator, can I stimulate human nerves?
Thank you.

You've heard about Galvani, the scientist who made frog's legs jump by touching electrically-charged wires to its exposed nerves.

There are electrical stimulators marketed as therapeutic devices, which deliver mild shocks to your skin, causing your muscles to twitch.

I guess that would be considered as FES?
What I am confused about is that since electrocutaneous, FES, and TENS are based on the same mechanism that is stimulated by electric pulse,
then why different sensations occur?

Trying to recall my college physiology...

Nerve impulses are interpreted by the brain. And sent by the brain. (Include the spinal cord, when it's a reflex action.)

Different purposes are served by different nerve cells. Pain, heat, pressure, muscle position and movement, etc.

Nerve cells in the body are similar, as well as their method of electro-chemical transmission.

Accupuncture stimulous uses this all the time.
Chiropractors and physiotherapists only use silver particle patches for poor resolution. TCM uses sterile needles for precision accuracy.

Beware of galvanic e skin response in mV and electrode oxidation which causes rise in ESR thus use current mode with voltage limiting.

they twist needles to lower ESR and create galvo-stimulous.

You can contract muscles with pulse or burst of pulses with average current and rep rate affecting the response.

We used this for One muscle, controlling another. Or even galvanic skin response on temples to create a ramp voltage on lateral eye scan to generate pulses to move prosthetic device. Circa 1974, Biometrics EE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back