Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Suggestion and Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyra31

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!!

i am electrical & electronic engineering, 2nd year (almost done) hopfully 3rd year in the upcoming term after summer, and i chose my modules for next year but i haven't taken any computing or microprocessors module as I am really bad with them, but im buying an arduino next week and i ll practise in the summer because next year we will have a year 3 project and the topics are randomly given so just in case if i get a topic where i will have to programme or build and stuff, i ll defo need an arduino i assume.
so I want to get some experience with it in the summer, it will be like my toy.. :p
but i was wondering can anyone suggest me what components or parts should i buy with it? i mean im definiteling buying loads of extra resistors and capacitors and transistors blah blah because im really not good with wiring things on the board as well.
my friend suggested me to buy things like ultrasonic sensor, relay ISO, LCD touchscreen, temperature sensor, dc motor and stepper motor but to be frank i dont have much clue on how i ll use them, but still i want to buy and watch videos and try and so amybe i can learn a bit... Can someone suggest me some cool tips on what to buy please... considering im really beginning to this.

One of the best things about the arduino platform is that there are a lot of boards out there (called arduino shields) that you can simply stack on top of the arduino board headers -- no wiring is required! Just try googling arduino shields and you'll see. I've found that building something you would personally use keeps you motivated and excited about learning new things, so choose a project you would enjoy to help you figure out what you want to buy first.

You'll find that a lot of modern sensors and ics make use of spi and i2c and i would recommend that you learn how to make use of these technologies as they are usually integrated solutions and speed up the development process.

If you want to develop your skills for prototyping, i would also suggest you learn how to etch/prototype your own pcbs. I have personally found them more reliable and robust than simply using the breadboard or universal prototyping pcbs :thumbsup:

One of the best things about the arduino platform is that there are a lot of boards out there (called arduino shields) that you can simply stack on top of the arduino board headers -- no wiring is required! Just try googling arduino shields and you'll see. I've found that building something you would personally use keeps you motivated and excited about learning new things, so choose a project you would enjoy to help you figure out what you want to buy first.

You'll find that a lot of modern sensors and ics make use of spi and i2c and i would recommend that you learn how to make use of these technologies as they are usually integrated solutions and speed up the development process.

If you want to develop your skills for prototyping, i would also suggest you learn how to etch/prototype your own pcbs. I have personally found them more reliable and robust than simply using the breadboard or universal prototyping pcbs :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply man!
Yeah I don't know the list of projects yet, they will be accessed in the mid august, but as I said, even if i wouldn't need to use arduino or programm for my project, i still wanted to learn it just in case and i think its fun once you understand whats going and its good to waste time on for..

Could you please check the links below and tell me if you think it is good? As I said, i don't know much about these things even with reading.

These are the extra components which im thinknig to buy, couz they are cheap and there are many https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic...e=UTF8&qid=1432215729&sr=8-7&keywords=arduino
This is the one i think I will buy, my friend bouht it last week and apparently its rly cool.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-St...e=UTF8&qid=1432215729&sr=8-1&keywords=arduino

Yeah I think those are great. The Arduino starter kit you posted seems to have good stuff for learning arduino (motors, piezo, display, Leds, etc.).

Hi man. MY final question, i think it is better to ask you. I know I can google it straight away but as i said, im not very good and experienced in this thing yet, so if you could help me out with my final question, i would really appreciate it bro.

I want to try to build like an alarm sensor when people pass or it sees something, it horns
or like a very small electronic car to control it via arduino, to make it go straight, turn left, right.. just basic controls you know... And finally maybe I want something like a laser turret.. I know these are TOO damn hard for beginners like me, but its more like to waste time.. i will probably learn many things even in this way anyway..
yeah can you please tell me what components i need to be able to make this 3 things especially? thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.