Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino platform vs. PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybird

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm fairly new to microcontrollers but I would like to invest in one of the aforementioned. I've used Arduino in the past for a school project and found it pretty easy to get started but I wonder if PIC might be a better choice for me after reading a few posts on the forums here.

Regarding PIC, I like the idea of the programmer being the main cost and the microcontrollers themselves being reasonably priced. By that I mean if I purchase one arduino, i can only have use it with 1 project at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is there a steeper learning curve for the PIC? and is the PIC more "industry applicable"?. Are they both programmed in C? I just graduated BSEE and I have a little more time to myself so I'd like to get my hands dirty with some of my own projects.

Sorry for all the questions at once but I'd really appreciate if anyone shed some light for me.

Arduino is like lego toy, you can play and make something, and of course can be used like developer base, but if you whant to make some solution with seriously look, then make with uC. You say PIC why not Atmel? I just ask. You can use MikroC its fine.

Hi,

If you have used the Arduino and find it friendly and easy to use I would say for now continue with it.
You can always move onto the Pics once your abilties grow or the need arises.

The Arduino Uno, like I have, is probably, currently the most popular and cheapest, though there are many other hardware versions to choose from, better to stay with the mainstream ones so you have a better selection of software.

Once you have created a Arduino project you can easily remove the chip and place it in your own final circuit or buy a cheap ISP programmer and burn chips direct.
You will find masses of help in Arduinos own Forum in doing this

Although as an Arduino they get the 'toy like' tag the Atmel micros they use are comparable to Pic 16F micros and should not be dismissed.

For about twice the money of the Uno you can get a Microchip Pickit3 programmer with a very simple testing board; there are lots more Pic dev boards to chose from but at a price.

Have also used various Pics for many years but for a quick, simple, lo cost , ready to use system the Arduino seems best in my eyes.

Its pretty much up to what you want. If would like to work with embedded systems i would not get used to Arduino. The reason is not because it is like a toy. The main reason is because you should get used to C/ASM programming and understand how the microcontroller really works as all others micros wont have the same abstraction layer as Arduino. The learning curve will be a bit slower but worth it. Other 2 good and cheap kits are STM32 Discovery Boards for ARM Cortex-M3 and LaunchPad for MSP430. The last one cost U$4.30 with the programmer.

Cya

Status
Not open for further replies.