Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arcobat problem on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd2001

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

My Arcobat reader can't automatic start when I double click .pdf file in my Solaris, who knows how to fix it?

Are you sure you already add "acoread" in your search "PATH"? If not, you can't invoke acobat reader.

well

No, not add the path to my cshrc.

However, I even don;t know where Acrobat was installed to? it was default install procedure. Does anybody know what is standard directory for acrobat reader in Solaris?

Path...

Maybe /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin ...

ps:
Since the install location does not set in path,
so it can not be shown by typing
> which acroread :(

If you haven't found it in the basic path, try "/usr/dt/bin". Since netscape is also there.

No

I tried all above paths and don't find arcobat there.
Where does arcobat hide in my Solaris?

>which arcobat
show no arcobat found in all my path of cshrc.

Try to find in /opt
Or you can type:

find / -name acroread -print

to find it out.

found it.

Ok,all arcobat files are located /opt

I added "setenv ARCOBAT5 /opt/bin" in my .cshrc file.

When reboot, It doesn't function. the PDF file is not linked to arcobat reader!

Where is wrong?

Thanks.

You should add this :

set path=($path $ARCOBAT5)

And don't need to reboot, just type :

source ~/.cshrc

then type :

which acroread

to make sure that can be find in search path.

I did, but...

Well, I did it.

Still not function. Under /opt/Arcobat, there are several sub-directories, they are ./bin ./desktop ./Reader, I tried set path to all of them, one by one testing, none of them works. How a wanderfull OS.

ANY idea,

Thank u.

So, maybe this works:

In the .cshrc add these:
setenv ARCOBAT5 /opt/Arcobat
set path=($path $ARCOBAT5/bin)

Then:
source ~/.cshrc

Or:

alias acroread /opt/Acrobat/bin/acroread &

Then run acroread at last once:
acroread

Close the acrobat.
Now try to open a .pdf file by double click it.

Can we open a file this way (e.g. by clicking on the .pdf only) under UNIX like Windows?

got littile progress

sulifen said:
So, maybe this works:

In the .cshrc add these:
setenv ARCOBAT5 /opt/Arcobat
set path=($path $ARCOBAT5/bin)

Then:
source ~/.cshrc

Or:

alias acroread /opt/Acrobat/bin/acroread &

Then run acroread at last once:
acroread

Close the acrobat.
Now try to open a .pdf file by double click it.

Well, after using alias command, arcoread can run under terminal mode, however, when I double click pdf file, still not automatically open.

em,

thanks

Alias command can't bring the OS to know where Acrobat's program is. Basic test is, if the OS know Acrobat Reader when typing the command

$which acroread

then it must return the path name e.g. /opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread.

If not, you have to add that path in your .cshrc file.

**** In .cshrc file
set path=(/opt/Acrobat5/bin $path)

This must work!

Second way is using symbolic link to make a link from original program to the "path" that system already known e.g.

#ln -s /opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread /usr/bin/acroread ****(you must be root, in this case)

This must work also!!

This problem will not occur if you follow the instruction in "README" file correctly.

I did, but not function

Amuro said:
Alias command can't bring the OS to know where Acrobat's program is. Basic test is, if the OS know Acrobat Reader when typing the command

$which acroread

then it must return the path name e.g. /opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread.

If not, you have to add that path in your .cshrc file.

**** In .cshrc file
set path=(/opt/Acrobat5/bin $path)

This must work!

Second way is using symbolic link to make a link from original program to the "path" that system already known e.g.

#ln -s /opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread /usr/bin/acroread ****(you must be root, in this case)

This must work also!!

This problem will not occur if you follow the instruction in "README" file correctly.

Hi, thanks.

I did exactly like you said, however, when run "which arcobat" , it shows NO Arcobat found in your paths (include /opt/Arcobat5/bin /opt/Arcobat5),

I wonder where is Arcobat hiding in my Solaris 9

Re: I did, but not function

dd2001 said:
Hi, thanks.

I did exactly like you said, however, when run "which arcobat" , it shows NO Arcobat found in your paths (include /opt/Arcobat5/bin /opt/Arcobat5),

I wonder where is Arcobat hiding in my Solaris 9

NO!!! Read my post carefully. Use the command "which acroread", not "which acrobat". And when it return nothing that is because you haven't added its path to your system yet. Actually, "acroread" is exactly located in "/opt/Acrobat5/bin" for default Acrobat Reader 5 installation. Just add it to your "path" parameter.

Anyway, I wonder that does the symbolic link method (the 2nd method) not work? It's impossible!!

Hi, dd2001
Your problem is from not correctly setting the path. Following these step will solve your problem:
1. find where acrobat reader's executive file is:
find / -name acroread -print
Suppose you get "/opt/Acrobat5/bin/acroread", then "acroread" is under the directory "/opt/Acrobat5/bin"
2. Add acroread's path to the system searching path, that is, add the following line to .cshrc in your home directory:
set path=($path /opt/Acrobat5/bin)
3. source the .cshrc file
source .cshrc
Now you can use "acroread file.pdf" to open pdf file. But you still cannot open pdf file by double click. This is because you modified the environment of your terminal window but not of X-window.
4. Logout and login again.
Now you can double-click a pdf file to open it.

In Acrobat Reader for Solaris help file:

If double-clicking the icon does not open the document,
use File > Open in Acrobat Reader to open the document,
close the document, and try again. After you've used
the Open command once on the document, you'll be able to
open the document next time by double-clicking.

You can try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.