Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arbitrary binary counter that counts to 800 and resets to zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidfibre

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am attempting to make an arbitrary counter that can, for example, count to 800 and reset to zero. Do I want a counter with an asynchronous reset or __ ? I'm a little confused. I have one that works but when I synthesize it I get a message that I have a gated clock. I will post my code for that tomorrow (it's on my laptop). But if anyone has a quick couple of words for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks a lot
--
MK

binary counter

Hi,
I think you mean a presettable binary counter. If your max count is 800 your counter must be at least 10 - bit wide to give you a maximum possible count of 2^10 - 1. If you want to reset the count at 800. make a combination logic at the counter ouputs such that it will give a reset signal when the count is 800. All you need to do is build a single bit binary counter and cascade it 10 times.

Hope this help

Re: binary counter

raidfibre said:
I am attempting to make an arbitrary counter that can, for example, count to 800 and reset to zero. Do I want a counter with an asynchronous reset or __ ? I'm a little confused. I have one that works but when I synthesize it I get a message that I have a gated clock. I will post my code for that tomorrow (it's on my laptop). But if anyone has a quick couple of words for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks a lot
--
MK

I think that projects must be synchronous as possible. So you need synchronous counter and comparator with DFF at output. Inputs A of Comparator connect with outputs of Counter. Inputs B of Comparator is (Constant-1). Output of DFF connect with Synchronous Reset of Counter.

binary counter

When using FPGA, try to do everything synchronously.

You didn't say what should happen after the counter resets to zero.
Here's a Verilog counter that endlessly counts 0 to 800, 0 to 800, etc.
Code:
module top (clk, count);
  input             clk;
  output reg  [9:0] count=0;

always @ (posedge clk) begin
    count <= (count == 800) ? 0 : count + 1;
  end
endmodule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com