Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Application level differences between I2C and SPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanraj_kmr

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
could anyone explain some application level diff btwn I2C and SPI. i am not asking abt the structure difference.

Thnx in advance......

spi vs i2c

for a high speed short distance(same PCB) I2C would be best...
and for a few distance away, with less speed on data transmission, use SPI...

difference between i2c and spi

dhanraj_kmr said:
could anyone explain some application level diff btwn I2C and SPI. i am not asking abt the structure difference.

Thnx in advance......

In I2C the programmer has to write clock transitions for reading/writing data..
It is not required in SPI.

i2c versus spi

The SPI means Serial Pheripheals Interface and is sincronous serial with a posibity to program how to operate. The speed can be set from very low to very high (10Mbit/s). Usualy SPI is used for high speed transfer of data between two equipement. The stardard does not support addresing so if you connect more that one device you have to handle this in your sw conform how the hw was made. The hw uses 4 wires (1 - CLK, 2- DataIn, 3 -DataOut, 4 - CS).

The I2C (was develop by Philips) and means Interconect Integrated Circuit and is used to comunicate, on the same board, two or more devices. The protocol support addressing (7bit) and the user can check in the sw if a slave is present on the bus or not The ususaly speed is 100K and 400K and for fast devices 1M. The hw uses only 2 wires (1 - CLK, 2 - Data(bidirectional).

I hope this will clarify a little bit the differences between SPI and I2C.

difference between spi and i2c

The difference is obvious.

SPI or CSI is a simple master/slave communication protocol.

I2C is a networking communication protocol with a multi-master support

I2C is a standard in terms of clock speed, addressing and commands, where SPI can be customized to a specific design

Status
Not open for further replies.