Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone works with FEMLAB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eYe

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
femlab example current distribution

Hi,
Just curious if anyone is working with FEMLAB.

How is it?

femlab, acoustic, examples

I ran some test with version 2.0. In relation to EM simulation, I think its capability is limited and not suitable for use in engineering design. However it offers you more controls over the simulation process. For example, you can get the value of fields at some specific position. I think it is more suitable for teachers and students.

Don't know anything about the latest version.

working at femlab

Yes, I'm using v2.3 for solving the eigenvalue problem of Helmholz equation of some fractal shapes. Both with Neumann and Dirichlet boundary (waveguide).
I've calculated resonant freq. and eigenfunctions (E and H field inside the cavity-quasistatic solution only) of some patches with fractal boundary and compared it to the full wave solution from IE3D. Current distribution fits very well and error in resonant freq. isn't bigger than 5%.
I can write more about this topic if somebody is interested.
Femlab is great because you don't need to use it's GUI but you can it controll very powerfully from Matlab - that's why I appreciate it!!
Regards,
Eirp

Yes, I'm using v2.3 for solving the eigenvalue problem of Helmholz equation of some fractal shapes. Both with Neumann and Dirichlet boundary (waveguide).
I've calculated resonant freq. and eigenfunctions (E and H field inside the cavity-quasistatic solution only) of some patches with fractal boundary and compared it to the full wave solution from IE3D. Current distribution fits very well and error in resonant freq. isn't bigger than 5%.
I can write more about this topic if somebody is interested.
Femlab is great because you don't need to use it's GUI but you can it controll very powerfully from Matlab - that's why I appreciate it!!
Regards,
Eirp

Is it worth to buy FEMLAB?

In your opinion can I ask to my boss to purchase FEMLAB?

Hi!

Depends on for what you need to use Femlab.
I'm using it for only a small percent of its all features. It can solve many physics (multiphysics) problems. For example, my colleagues are using it when studying the interaction of EM waves and tissue for microwave thermotherapy purposes. My another friend solves acoustic problems, another optical waveguides...
Look at their pages www.femlab.com to see what it can solve.
Eirp

PS: My avatar is one of eigenmode of Koch snowflake computed with Femlab...

PPS: A new 2.3a update is available on their pages

Dear EIRP, do you know, by the way, if the functions implemented in femlab are open, that is can I modify it?

Yes, that's a big advantage. You can save predefined project as .m file and edit, add something and then directly run from Matlab as standart Matlab program. Or, if you're more experienced, you can develop your own application modules for everything which can by described by partial dif. equations.

Very good! Thks a lot!

I'm using Femlab 2.2 (command mode) to simulate processes in stored grain.
It's great app!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back