Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anybody have some idea about 'coaxial ceramic resonator'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anybody have some idea about 'coaxial ceramic resonator'

These are ordinary coaxiala transmission lines with ceramic materials for dielectrics. These have a very high dielectric constant and thus make the wavelength in the line much smaller compared to regular cables. They are made by first molding the material in a hollow cylinder form and then plating metal on the inside hole and outside.

These are then made a half wave or quarter wave long at the needed frequency and have open or shorted terminations on one end. These are used in filters and oscillators.

If you open any cell phone, you can see similar filters in the RF section. The ceramic-coaxial resonator is made as a ceramic tube (outer shape is square) metallized on all surfaces except of the "live" end and coupling tabs. In filters the resonators are preadjusted by grounding to length, then soldered together to form coupled resonators.

I tested samples I obtained at an exposition; I made one and two-resonator filters and also a nice reject filter by grounding coupling tabs and loops on the external surface. The ceramic material is designed to be stable over temperature, and the filters are good and much smaller than with an air-filled cavity.

Any particular reason why activating a 5+ years old post?

It is a type of TEM mode transmission line resonator. There is a tab connected to inner conductor. Trans-tech have notes on how to use it for specific applications.

These high-Q resonators can be used for low-phase noise, lower microwave band VCOs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back