Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Protel expert willing to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I met some problem when I was drawing both schematics and PCBs. I read through the Learning Guides but dont think it's useful enough so I hope that I can get helps from here!

May I know if it's possible to update my PCB after I had editted my footprint in the PCB library without completely remove it in the PCB? This is becoz the changes is very slightly and I had already placed it nicely in the PCB design and I hope that the new footprint can replace the old one just like how the component was replaced in the schematic design.

The 2nd problem is "Can I change the format of all the designators in the PCB?". I just want to change the Height and the Width of all the designators at once.

^^"

Thx for any advice in advance.

May I know if it's possible to update my PCB after I had editted my footprint in the PCB library without completely remove it in the PCB? This is becoz the changes is very slightly and I had already placed it nicely in the PCB design and I hope that the new footprint can replace the old one just like how the component was replaced in the schematic design.

Yes, you can edit the footprint in the library and then give Update PCB.

The 2nd problem is "Can I change the format of all the designators in the PCB?". I just want to change the Height and the Width of all the designators at once.

Yes, select a designator -> Global -> Height : Same, Width : Same and change the Height and width as required. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use global option according to you need.

ericmar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Any P*otel expert willing to help?

amjad said:

Yes, you can edit the footprint in the library and then give Update PCB.

Yes, select a designator -> Global -> Height : Same, Width : Same and change the Height and width as required. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use global option according to you need.
Hi amjad,

For the 1st problem, I did try it out but the footprint just couldnt be updated. A dialog box will show up and say there is no diference between the schematic and PCB, and thus, not updating the editted footprint. I am sure I had already update the new footprint from library in the schematic design.

For the 2nd problem, where can I find the Global setting? Is it under any menu? I cant find it.

Thanks for your help again!

Ericmar

To update a footprint in the layout,
Design->Make library and then select the footprint in BrowsePCBLib.
Edit the required change and then click UpdatePCB button. That's all.

To update the height/width of all designators,

Select a designator by double clicking it. In the properties dialog displayed, click Global button in bottom right, select Height -> Same, Width -> Same and enter the new value for Height and width as required. Click OK. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use various attributes in global option according to you need.

Hope this helps

amjad said:
Design->Make library and then select the footprint in BrowsePCBLib.
Edit the required change and then click UpdatePCB button. That's all.

Select a designator by double clicking it. In the properties dialog displayed, click Global button in bottom right, select Height -> Same, Width -> Same and enter the new value for Height and width as required. Click OK. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use various attributes in global option according to you need.

Hope this helps
Do u mean Make Schematic Library or Make Integrated Library?

There is no Global button in bottom right of my Protel! Is it becoz my Protel is not the latest version? Btw, mine is Protel 2004 SP2.

Hi,
Look at the altium web site you will found:

Protel Training Manual

Protel 2004 Training Manual (ZIP 7.5 MB)
Training manual used in the 3-day Protel 2004 training course.

Day 1 - environment, editors and projects
Day 2 - design capture
Day 3 - PCB design

**broken link removed**

cd

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyduck said:
Hi,
Look at the @ltium web site you will found:

P*otel Training Manual

P*otel 2004 Training Manual (ZIP 7.5 MB)
Training manual used in the 3-day P*otel 2004 training course.

Day 1 - environment, editors and projects
Day 2 - design capture
Day 3 - PCB design

**broken link removed**

cd
I already read through the whole manual but didnt see anything about the Global button. :?:

I am telling this again more elaborately which is applicable for PROTEL 99SE and also for PROTEL 2004.
In the pcb layout menu Design->Make library (layout library not schematic library) and then select the footprint in BrowsePCBLib tab. Edit the required change and then click UpdatePCB button. That's all.

In the pcb layout, select a reference designator by double clicking it. In the properties dialog displayed, click Global button in bottom right, select Height -> Same, Width -> Same and enter the new value for Height and width as required. Click OK. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use various attributes in global option according to you need. (FYI: PROTEL99SE is lower version than PROTEL 2004)
Reply if I am clear and able to solve your problems.

ericmar

amjad said:
I am telling this again more elaborately which is applicable for P*otel 99SE and also for P*otel 2004.
In the pcb layout menu Design->Make library (layout library not schematic library) and then select the footprint in BrowsePCBLib tab. Edit the required change and then click UpdatePCB button. That's all.

In the pcb layout, select a reference designator by double clicking it. In the properties dialog displayed, click Global button in bottom right, select Height -> Same, Width -> Same and enter the new value for Height and width as required. Click OK. All the designators which have same height and width of selected one will be changed to the entered value. You can use various attributes in global option according to you need. (FYI: PROTEL99SE is lower version than P*otel 2004)
Reply if I am clear and able to solve your problems.
I quite understand the 1st solution now but for the 2nd one, I still couldnt find the Global button u were talking abt.

This is the Properties dialog I got after double-click one of the designators.

**broken link removed**

First - to change a component, save the library after you make you footprint changes. Make sure your PCB document is open. Open the library editor and put the cursor on the name of the footprint you want to update, right click and a menu will drop down. One of the choices on the menu will be "Update PCB with <component>". Click on that menu choice and your old footprint will be replaced with the new footprint. Save your PCB document.

Second - to do a global edit, you use "Find Similar Object". You get to that function by placing the cursor on one of the objects of the type you want to change. Right click and a menu drops down, the top choice is "Find Similar Objects". Click on that choice and a dialog opens. Read carefully through the items and select those parameters you want to match by choosing: "Same", "Any", or "Different" in the right column. Click "Ok" and the "Inspector Panel" will open. Make your changes in the appropriate boxes, hitting "Enter" after each change. All of the selected items will be changed according you your choices.

You can find help for the global editing by looking at the tutorial available online at:
https://www.altium.com/files/learningguides/TU0115 Editing Multiple Objects.pdf . Improvements have been made since the version you are using, but the basics are still the same.

If you are still confused, post your additional questions and I'll give them a shot. The version you are using is newer than the one amjad is trying to describe - that is why his advice won't work for you. You really should try to update with the latest service packs, many bugs have been fixed and many improvements have been added.

ericmar

House_Cat said:
First - to change a component, save the library after you make you footprint changes. Make sure your PCB document is open. Open the library editor and put the cursor on the name of the footprint you want to update, right click and a menu will drop down. One of the choices on the menu will be "Update PCB with <component>". Click on that menu choice and your old footprint will be replaced with the new footprint. Save your PCB document.

Second - to do a global edit, you use "Find Similar Object". You get to that function by placing the cursor on one of the objects of the type you want to change. Right click and a menu drops down, the top choice is "Find Similar Objects". Click on that choice and a dialog opens. Read carefully through the items and select those parameters you want to match by choosing: "Same", "Any", or "Different" in the right column. Click "Ok" and the "Inspector Panel" will open. Make your changes in the appropriate boxes, hitting "Enter" after each change. All of the selected items will be changed according you your choices.

You can find help for the global editing by looking at the tutorial available online at:
**broken link removed**. Improvements have been made since the version you are using, but the basics are still the same.

If you are still confused, post your additional questions and I'll give them a shot. The version you are using is newer than the one amjad is trying to describe - that is why his advice won't work for you. You really should try to update with the latest service packs, many bugs have been fixed and many improvements have been added.
Thanks for ur help!
I am currently planning to buy the latest Protel but need to show some results to my boss 1st b4 I can convince him to spend the money for it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back