Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any idea for setting a wire open or close using a digital signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhxx

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to control a wire to be open or close depends on a digital output from micro-controller.
For instance, if the digital signal is high, the wire will be open, otherwise, the wire remains shorted.

The wire will be used to transfer sound signal from a MP3 player.

Can any one give me some hints? I don't know how to approach this? Should I use a logic gate or op-amp?

Thanks!

You could use a 74HCT4066 for this. The chip has four independent analog switches which turn on by a control signal (from your MCU). It is very inexpensive and often used to switch audio signals.

**broken link removed**

There are other, similar choices, including chips described as specifically for audio switching, but there is nothing wrong with the 4066 if used properly.

Last edited:

Hi,

Wouldn't a simple mosftet do the job ? They are really inexpensive and surface mount mosfets can be tiny if space is a factor.

I guess yhxx is talking about analog signals, stereo, so you will need two channels. Per channel you might use an off switch and a ground switch (to short the ouput wire), in total 4 switches.

A MOSFET is an inherently non-linear device. You would need a proper DC bias network, and still you are restricted in input voltage amplitude. So better use a transfer gate made of an NMOS and a PMOS. But then you need digital control signals with both normal and invers polarity, so some logic inverters at least.

And this is what the 4066 offers.

Have a look at the data sheet attached by FoxyRick, there is a nice small SMD package available.

You can use a small signal relay like the IM03GR that operates at 5vdc 28 mA so no driver is needed. I may be simpler and will be no distortion at all.

You can use a small signal relay like the IM03GR that operates at 5vdc 28 mA so no driver is needed. I may be simpler and will be no distortion at all.

That depends on the MCU being used. 28mA is over the maximum specification for a PIC (at 25mA sink or source) for instance.

Sorry, bad example. A lower current relay as IM23GR 5V 10mA should do it.
There are relays with even less coil current and voltage. So as not to use a driver and keep current low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back