Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any help about position sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAV

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
position sensor

Hi, I need help to make a control system for a ball rolling along a linear road. I can control its inclination and i must know its position on the road. can you give me some suggestions, specially with the position sensor.

The objetive is to put the ball in an specific point of the road so the sensor must be accurate as it is posible. I was thinking in a sonic sensor. What do you think about that?. Any help is usefull Thanks.

Hi SAV,

a sonic transducer is normally not very fast but cheap.

I would prefer a optical system. You could use a
CCD- element and a light source or camera to detect
the position of the ball.

Another way could be to measure the position (weightiness)
with two strain-gauges.

would you explaint more detail about your project? i mean how far is the distance, isthere any reference (ie wall or etc) that could be used for reference?

The CCD is a nice option but maybe it could be very expensive and it is only a proyect for a university subject, but we could analice that option. The road is arround 20 cm so i think it is not a big problem.

Thanks for your help

i think using ultrasonic can help you get the distances... so maybe put at the ends of the road..

SAV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can you please give me some links to get information about the details of the implementation of that kind of sensors. The ultrasonic option is not so expensive, so i think it could be the rigth choose. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.