Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any free FPGA physical Layout tool outthere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You have Magic , Electric for normal VLSI desing.
What about FPGA physical tool?

Both Xilinx and Altera provide free versions of their tools, but only for the lower end devices.

Both Xilinx and Altera provide free versions of their tools, but only for the lower end devices.

I am doing my FPGA from scratch not Xilinx or Altera.

Besides I am moving transistors around, that ;s Not what Xilinx and Altera tool provided.

Last edited:

I am doing my FPGA from scratch not Xilinx or Altera.
Besides I am moving transistors around, that ;s Not what Xilinx and Altera tool provided.

Guys, the OP says he is designing his own FPGA and doesn't need any help regarding Xilinx, Altera or Actel.
If you can elaborate on "I am doing my FPGA from scratch..." then there might be better suggestion/solutions.

On a 2nd through, why would someone re-invent the wheel (justfor the fun/thrill of it?)......if you are not focusing on some FPGA research area?

Moving transistors around is a typical case in back-end ASIC design and physical design engineers do that using special tools.

Guys, the OP says he is designing his own FPGA and doesn't need any help regarding Xilinx, Altera or Actel.
It's because the OP posted in the FPGA section when they should have posted in the ASIC area of the forum.

They also didn't preface their statement with: "I'm designing my own FPGA, blah, blah, blah"

I really wish people would learn to write intelligible and coherent questions, or am I asking for too much?

I really wish people would learn to write intelligible and coherent questions, or am I asking for too much?

Actually many people can't! Specially candidates who are still students or have just obtained a degree. I also doubt if such people can also differentiate between design implementation for ASIC and FPGA.

Actually many people can't! Specially candidates who are still students or have just obtained a degree. I also doubt if such people can also differentiate between design implementation for ASIC and FPGA.

Isn't that the point of an engineering degree, learn how to formulate a question and then proceed to finding a solution? All the theory and the classes are really just about teaching the tools used to get from a question to an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.