Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antex 24V soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsky

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
As a result of a wrong order I got an Antex 25W 24V (XS-25) soldering iron with a three pins plug.

Can I use it with a 24 DC power supply (or a 220 to 24V AC transformer)?

Or do I need a more complex, soldering station-like, circuit to power it and keep the tip in a useful temperature range?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS This is my first post here, so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited:

As far as I see, XS25 is an unregulated soldering iron, so it can be powered by AC or DC, whatever is more convenient to you. I guess, the connecter involves two power terminals and protective ground.

Reactions: dsky

dsky

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FvM,
thanks for your reply.

I received also another input like yours from another source.

To summarize for the benefits of others:

- the 24 V Antex irons can be supplied either with AC or DC from any kind of supply.
- the 25W model requires a power supply able to provide at least 1.5 A.
- voltage is not critical on condition that it doesn't exceed 24 V.

I am starting to see some advantages in working with low voltage irons.

You can use the said soldering iron with 24 volts transformer where you feed direct AC and the heat cannot be varied. But it has to be noted that the temperature tends to vary slightly according to the input variations which is negligible. Using a controller will be an added advantage where the same can be used for low temperature used like soldering a SMD device by just changing the "Bit"/ "TIP" and reduce the output power.
Cheers

dsky

Pranam77,

thanks for your advice. Of course being able to vary the voltage in a controlled way can
improve the utilization of the iron. As of now I was looking for a quick way to use
this unit that I have around and it is so nice looking that it is a pity not to wet it
with some tin.

I saw some iron controller designs around this forum and perhaps I will find something
simple (that is , quick) and useful to more properly use it. Suggestions also in this
respect are, therefore, welcome!

For using instantly you may directly connect it to a 24 volt battery or an AC supply. As a simple way, to vary the temperature, you may use a 0-24 transformor with the specified current rating whose primary side will be connected to AC mains through any easily found Fan dimmer which will easily control the temperature. Cheers

dsky

As a simple way, to vary the temperature, you may use a 0-24 transformor with the specified current rating whose primary side will be connected to AC mains through any easily found Fan dimmer which will easily control the temperature. Cheers

I was thinking exactly something like that! A 24V transformer plus dimmer. Worthy a try. Will report if I do it.
Thanks.

But what happens is that the dimmer will control the power to the transformer from 0 to full in relation to the Potentiometer. But as in practical, the temperature below a point where the lead doesnt melt is not required, and the "scale" may be re- calibrated by changing some value of resistors so that you get may be 70% to 100% power from the least to full ppsition of the Pot. If this is done, you'll be almost near to a professional soldering Iron controller. Just the remainder will be the temperature display which is not so important as this is just a hobby project/ effort.
Cheers and good luck.

dsky

... the "scale" may be re- calibrated by changing some value of resistors so that you get may be 70% to 100% power from the least to full ppsition of the Pot.

Very good point. Not difficult to implement.

Just the remainder will be the temperature display which is not so important as this is just a hobby project/ effort.

Right. This is the spirit of this "project". Anyway, an experienced operator "knows" the temperature of his iron. :)
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back