Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna simulation vs measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjantenna

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When simulating the radiation pattern of an antenna using NEC, we nomally get slight different patterns over a certain bandwidth (e.g. 108-118MHz). However, the measured radiation pattern could be quite different cross tha band. How to explain this phenomena?

Thanks.

number of elements

There are several sources of error with NEC. One is the number of elements. More is not necessairly better. Another is the interaction between parallel elements which is not simulated accurately.

A good cheap book on learning the problems with NEC is **broken link removed** and click the book link on the left of the page.

The radiation patterns of closely spaced frequencies (e.g. 108 MHz, 113 Mhz and 118MHz) are almost identical. Is this because of the error or NEC? I don't think so.

The radiation pattern characteristics depend very much on the frequency and antenna size. What kind of an antenna are you designing? Traveling-wave type antennas are usually very broadband and can have quite an uniform pattern for a narrow frequency range (like in this case seems to be), so tell us more about the problem.

Hobbie

I feel it is not due to error of NEC and agree with hobbymat. The frequencies you mentioned are very close to each other. Similar pattern is possible.

:!: :idea: :?:

jjantenna said:
The radiation patterns of closely spaced frequencies (e.g. 108 MHz, 113 Mhz and 118MHz) are almost identical. Is this because of the error or NEC? I don't think so.

So it could be due to something else. I learned that it could happen for certain frequencies, but forget the explanation. Measured patterns are similar for the upper band but not for 108MHz. This is a small loop antenna (0.03wl).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back