Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna should be Single-sided or double-sided??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry1

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone please guide me whether I should prefer single sided or double sided PCB design when designing an antenna on flexible substrate and for wearable purpose?
Is there any advantage in terms of radiation pattern? ( i am looking for omni-directional pattern)

Re: Antenna should be Single-sided or double-sided?

i have this problem too

Well.. with double sided the thickness between radiator and GND will matter a lot.. this helps in bandwidth enhancement.. the advantage of single sided is ease of fabrication especially for flexible substrates, it will help you avoid the misplacing of the radiator (top side) over the GND (back side), cuz you are not going to use PCB machines any more when using flexible substrates such cloth.. the principle of GND is a reflector.. when simulating full GND microstrip antenna we put Et=0, means eliminating radiation to -ve Z direction => most of the pattern is in +ve Z.. search more on Coplanar monopole

Hope this helps

Nothing's been said about antenna type yet...

Of course the antenna type is very important in this regards.
A patch or a planar inverted-F antenna definitely needs a ground plane, when a printed dipole don't need any ground plane.

,,,can be double-plated PCB... 6pcb_01.jpg

,,, no separate reflectors...!!!

and if its a wearable antenna, then the radiation pattern is going to be far from omni-directional

Dave

and if its a wearable antenna, then the radiation pattern is going to be far from omni-directional

Dave

You can give a few pictures ...?

You can give a few pictures ...?

of what ? what dont you understand ?

if the antenna is on the body or within the clothing, the radiation pattern will be considerably distorted by the presence of the body

Dave

,,, perhaps you mean that ...embroidered_antenna_72dpi.jpg

since plated thru holes are a PIA and u need a bunch of them...I would try very hard to NOT have metal antenna conductors on both sides of a flexible pcb. I would do it only if three was high power involved, or the metal thickness was so thin that there was too much antenna loss.

I want to design antenna for a wearable device . The substrate being used is flexible with very thin substrate ( 0.1mm or 4 mils )
The antenna type under consideration is Printed inverted F shape.

I thought on single sided the Ground plane can be on same side with rest of pattern. right? But with some compromise as suggested in above posts...

Can you all kindly guide in this regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back