Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't use the RF preamp, it was just an idea. The reason I asked that question was because I don't quite understand how we choose gate resistor. Not because I want to build that amplifier. Even if I don't plan to build it, I want to understand it.

And no, I don't have EMRFD, I just googled it and this is the first time I came across it.

Seriously, on the HF bands you do not need a preamp, and adding one will make things worse....

Start with a 14MHz BPF to remove as much of the out of band energy as you can, then a mixer (with diplexers on all ports to provide correct wideband termination is a nice touch, but you can add those once it works), then place your IF filter, then the IF amp...

Doing it that way you expose each stage to as little energy as possible, minimizing intermod products, you dont want the IF amp exposed to the whole 14MHz band if you can avoid it, which is why it goes after the main selectivity.

For TR switching, some combination of relays and diode switching is normal, have a look at the Picastar for an interesting bidirectional amplifier.

Do you have a copy of EMRFD?

Regards, Dan.

You can try it, relay isolation is important. Then some receiver components may get saturated, and it may take almost a second to recover after TX is switched OFF. This is why AGC is included in switching action.

One more thing. If I decide to build this radio in a way that mixer is one module, IF amplifier another module, IF filter another... Can I connect them with regular wire or should I use short coaxial cable? If I use coaxial cable, then I need to match all the impedances to 50 ohms instead to 200 ohms, like they are now.

Or maybe I should just build entire radio on one 16x16cm copper board. I'm using manhattan style to make RF circuits. For me it's the simplest way.

- - - Updated - - -

jiripolivka - are you saying that I can just put mechanical relay to switch antenna from receiver to transmitter? Is it that simple?

One more thing. If I decide to build this radio in a way that mixer is one module, IF amplifier another module, IF filter another... Can I connect them with regular wire or should I use short coaxial cable? If I use coaxial cable, then I need to match all the impedances to 50 ohms instead to 200 ohms, like they are now.

Or maybe I should just build entire radio on one 16x16cm copper board. I'm using manhattan style to make RF circuits. For me it's the simplest way.

- - - Updated - - -

jiripolivka - are you saying that I can just put mechanical relay to switch antenna from receiver to transmitter? Is it that simple?

Yes it is, only you still have to squelch the rest of receiver by AGC. Estimate with me:

- receiver noise floor is around -100 dBm (depends on bandwidth etc.)
- transmitter power, moderate 10 W is +40 dBm.
- a good coaxial switch has 60-70 dB isolation, so
- at receiver input after the coax switch you still have -20...-30 dBm when TX is ON, so the AGC must swallow it.

- - - Updated - - -

A good design is to build your PC boards into tin sheet boxes with tight lids, then solder them together close to holes through which live RF is going. Then maybe do not care about line impedance if lines are not longer than 2-3 cm.
Ordinary coaxial cables also leak through the external conductor. Better is to use semirigid coax, copper tube with no leaks.

Yes it is, only you still have to squelch the rest of receiver by AGC. Estimate with me:

- receiver noise floor is around -100 dBm (depends on bandwidth etc.)
- transmitter power, moderate 10 W is +40 dBm.
- a good coaxial switch has 60-70 dB isolation, so
- at receiver input after the coax switch you still have -20...-30 dBm when TX is ON, so the AGC must swallow it.

I understand. But if I use the same IF amplifier (and AM, SSB filters) for receiver and transmitter, that means that the receiver is not working (except for the mixer) when the transmitter is operating. So no leaks from transmitter.

Is 15-20 meters of coaxial cable from receiver to antenna too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back