Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna phaser for omnidirectionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement an omnidirectional magnetic loop antenna for 300 khz to about 1 mhz.
So I was thinking of placing 2 loopsticks physically 90 degrees rotated to each other on some kind of mount.
If I were to do this I assume I'd get a phase shift between the signals from each antenna while picking up the same station (assuming one of them isnt nulled).
So could this be corrected by using a phase shift network, I've seen a couple of circuits using 2 rc networks or rc networks and a transformer.
Is this a good route to take, or would I be better with a dual receiver diversity setup or something.

Two antennas with phisically shift between them to reduce the ionospheric fading were used starting with 1920's, I guess.
But the best option would be using a dual receiver, each using its own antenna.

Yes 2 aerials and 2 receivers would probably be the modern way to do it.
I guess it could be done with 2 front ends, the signal strength of each used to select which one through to a common IF and audio.

The name of this approach, 2x FE + common IF and audio, is Dual-Watch receiver, which works the same as two separate receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back