Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna interaction - can there be undesirable efects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfurlan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Antenna interaction

Hi,

I have a project where I put a GPS antenna (25 x 25 mm) and a 868MHz (fi = 10mm) small helix close to one another (16mm). They do not work simultaneously.
Can I expect some undesirable effects?

Thank you

Re: Antenna interaction

Yes, you should expect some effect of either antenna on the other depending on how close they actually are. The presence of metals near radiating structures affects the radiation pattern and matching of the antenna. In your case, keeping a helix near a patch antenna affects the patch antenna even if the helix is not operating. You can try and simulate this in HFSS.

vfurlan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Antenna interaction

Anything on the pcb will impact antenna operation, especially radiation pattern. however, they are pretty far apart in frequency, so the loading is probably tolerable. Since the 2nd harmonic of the 868 MHz is close to GPS frequency, you really have to make sure that any transmitter is turned off (no broadband noise output) if you expect the GPS to work well.

vfurlan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back