Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna for AirWave 5.8GHz TX/RX modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedman

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
homemade 5.8ghz antenna

I would like to use these modules to transmit audio only in a teather sized room.

AirWave says it covers 500 feet range (about 150 m) but the antenna part is not well documented it says absolutely nothing about what type / size / gain I could obtain that distance with.

On other sites I saw Airwave's recommended antenna for their modules is a 4 element patch antenna made of PCB.
I tried to clone it according to the picture and the dimensions of it (53x53mm).
It works but if I go behind 2 walls (6 meters away) it looses the signal.
They say it's gain is 4 dBi.
Also it's very sensitive of orientation.

There would be 80 TX and 1 RX unit (1 TX works at one time) in that big room.
I think RX unit should get a higher sensitive antenna, while the TXs could run with a normal.

Could anyone recommend something for both the RX and TX parts?

please help,
thanks
Zedman

self made antenna 5.8 ghz

I think you must start testing your 4 patch antenna VSWR .If you don't have how to test the antenna will be very dificult to do one, PCB patch antennas are very sensitive to PCB specs FR4, Duroid etc.
Easiest for home made 5.8 Ghz antenna are Backfire type.
See the draw attached is for 2.4 Ghz but you could modify to 5.8 Ghz.

tx antenna types

Thanks Brumi,

actually it seemed cheaper to create patch antennas from PCB here instead of ordering it for $7 each. It would go down to $1 @ 100 pieces.
But I cannot measure them cos I do not have the knowledge and the tools either.

What do you say, should I try the Patch antenna they offer for the TX units for $7 (it's 4dBi) will it be better? Will it work if the speaker turns over (not facing the Patch antenna to the RX unit)

And what to use on the RX unit?
Could you suggest a company who ships to Europe / Hungary?

thanks,
Zedman

5.8 ghz pcb antenna

Anyone please can help me with this?

Any suggestion on dBi values or antenna type for that big room size?

As I noticed that patch type antenna is very sensitive to the orientation. Is this because it's homemade or that's all it can do?
Using a whip like antenna on TX units would solve the orientation problem?

thanks,
Zedman

module airwave

Zedman said:
Anyone please can help me with this?

Any suggestion on dBi values or antenna type for that big room size?

As I noticed that patch type antenna is very sensitive to the orientation. Is this because it's homemade or that's all it can do?
Using a whip like antenna on TX units would solve the orientation problem?

thanks,
Zedman

The patch antenna is sensitive to orientation, BECAUSE it is a directional antenna.
I have used a 4 element patch antenna to put a no noise audio and video signal over 25km with +13dBm (20mW)

You WILL have problems with 5.8 GHz within a building. It will transmit easily across an open room but once
there are walls and other building structures in between you will start having problems.
And with the +10dBm and in some countries 0dBm TX power limit with non- licenced devices going through walls
specially reinforced concrete becomes VERY difficult.

cheers
Dave
www.sydneystormcity.com

home made 5.8 antenna

Hi Dave,

thanks for the explanation. I tought I'll have problems with 5.8GHz.
No I am seeking for a 433 to 900 MHz range digital audio transmitter instead.

thanks,
Zedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back