Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

antenna design-HFSS or ansoft designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

spide

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i am abit confuse with ansoft product.My objective is to design microstrip patch antenna, so which one should i used,either the ansoft designer or the HFSS.Hope some can give me some guidance regarding this.

Designer or HFSS can be used to simulate planar antenna.

but which one is more accurate.HFSS is much more difficult to draw the geometry compare with designer which is simple but 2D.pls clarify.

Of course,HFSS is more accuracy

Both HFSS and Ansoft Designer can be regarded as accurate... Given identical models, both tools should provide identical results within the numerical precision of their respective computation engines. The challenge is in the care taken by the user to ensure that the models are indeed identical.

Nonetheless for planar circuits, Ansoft Designer will generally reach a solution much more quickly than HFSS. At the conclusion of design development using Designer, many users will verify using HFSS if they are fortunate enough to have both tools...

Reactions: NDUDI

NDUDI

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
HFSS is a full wave solver and gives resutls that are more accurate than Ansoft antenna designer. Moreover ansoft is suited for planar design and HFSS can be used for a myraid of antenna designs. If you want to simulate quickly rather than accurately use ansoft. If accuracy is your main concern than go for HFSS. However, i think the difference in the accuracy of ansoft and HFSS is minimal and should not matter in most applications.

Regards
Abhishek

Ansoft designer can not consider an effect of finite GND
I did not calculate antenna gain accurately including the effect.

if want to make simulation with finite ground - just drow in this grond plate in your design. You 'll have correct result with Designer same as with HFSS.

I think that Designer is sufficiently acurrate and quic software for planar structures.

HFFS is accurrate but calculation is slow .

T.

Hi,
If you want to design a simple structure you can trust Ansoft designer.
If you structure is a complex array of patches and if the dimensions of the dielectric and the ground are important you use HFSS. What you can do is to design first your antenna on Ansoft designer and then export the mask (dxf or iges) to HFSS in order to avoid drawing on HFSS.
Another parameter is the metal thickness: indeed you have to know that the metal thickness is not well simulated on Ansoft designer, espacially if the frequency is high (over 40GHz). In that case you have to confirm with HFSS.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back