Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marya2020

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone! I want to design an antenna Array (4*4) for 28GHz with 3GHz bandwidth. I am wondering how much bandwidth I need for one element?

Depends on feeding network. You can achieve >3GHz for single element with magnetoelectric dipole antenna (me-dipole slot antenna) or aperture coupled patch antenna.

Usually the array antenna bandwidth is not much greater than the bandwidth of a single antenna element.
Frequency bandwidth of an array is affected by many factors, as: change of element input impedances with frequency due to element coupling and due to beamsteering, by change of element spacing in wavelengths, and also by feeding structures used.
I think that for your bandwidth requirements a Vivaldi array would be a good option:

Vivaldi is good, but 2d feeding would be challenging.

Depends on feeding network. You can achieve >3GHz for single element with magnetoelectric dipole antenna (me-dipole slot antenna) or aperture coupled patch antenna.
Thank you so much for your reply. I got 3.5Ghz bandwidth for one element. However, I am not sure is it enough or not?

Usually the array antenna bandwidth is not much greater than the bandwidth of a single antenna element.
Frequency bandwidth of an array is affected by many factors, as: change of element input impedances with frequency due to element coupling and due to beamsteering, by change of element spacing in wavelengths, and also by feeding structures used.
I think that for your bandwidth requirements a Vivaldi array would be a good option:
thank you so much for your explanation and the Vivaldi paper. I studied it. It has a good bandwidth. However, I am trying to get a good bandwidth from aperture coupled feed patch antenna.

I think 3.5GHz may be enough at 28GHz for 4x4 corporate feeding with some microstrip t-junction optimizations. Google for wideband microstrip t junction / wideband corporate feed.

I think 3.5GHz may be enough at 28GHz for 4x4 corporate feeding with some microstrip t-junction optimizations. Google for wideband microstrip t junction / wideband corporate feed.
OK, for sure! I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back