Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analogue circuit design skills and Solid-State Physics background

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am told that people with a physics background generally make good Analogue circuit design engineers. What I am wondering is why this should be so. I am sure that the Physics people must be studying about Quantum mechanics and the nature of PN junctions that Electronic Engineering courses do not cover. However, how is that supposed to make them good at Analogue circuit design since that should require a course further on this subject only.

My main question is that how important are all those Physics modules to Electronic Engineers in order to be good Analogue circuit design engineers? And why are they not taught in detail for the Electronic Engineers if they really are so very important?

Knowledge of device physics is very important as in analogue we are now dealing with the active region of the transistor, so lot of equation comes into play and approximations are to be validated first before applying it to check the expected behavior of the transistor.

matrixofdynamism ,

I am told that people with a physics background generally make good Analogue circuit design engineers. What I am wondering is why this should be so.

Who told you, and what is their basis for averring that? Perhaps good chess players or mathematicians make good engineers, too.

Ratch

Last edited:

I am sure that the Physics people must be studying about Quantum mechanics and the nature of PN junctions that Electronic Engineering courses do not cover. However, how is that supposed to make them good at Analogue circuit design since that should require a course further on this subject only.

My main question is that how important are all those Physics modules to Electronic Engineers in order to be good Analogue circuit design engineers? And why are they not taught in detail for the Electronic Engineers if they really are so very important?

Who told you ? I don't think and don't hope it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back