Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog-to-digital recomend a chip please

Status
Not open for further replies.

djalli

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC 20500
Activity points
I will input a 0-50Hz analog signal. what chip I should I use for analog-to-digital conversion.
I must insist that I must have accuracy later analyzing the digitized signal .
also a primary concern is power consuption.

thousands of thanks everyone.

Without more information, I am not sure anyone can suggest much. For instance, parallel or serial interface, how much resolution, is it going to a DSP (which one), is the application battery powered (how much power can you afford, intermittant/continuous sampling). are you looking for short-duration glitches.

Basically, what is the actual application, what do you need to know about your signal?

Most modern ADC's don't consume much power. Search Maxim (**broken link removed**), Texas/Burr Brown (https://www.ti.com/)
and of course Analog (https://www.analog.com)

Some personal favourites:
Texas: ADS7825P, ADS7811U, ADS800U
Maxim: MAX122, MAX1400

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

I Think this is really necessary for you to study a complete datasheet of one ADC, so that you can get familiar with different important parameters of an ADC.
Then the really important point, is to what device you want to connect this ADC ( as Fox says ) for example, suppose that you want to connect this ADC to a DSP from TI, then it is really better to choose the ADC from this company since the ADC can be connected directly to the DSP without any need to any additional glue logic. Or when connecting to Analog's DSPs, it is better to choose the ADC from that company. This way the design time can be reduced and you can get better results.
Any how, you should indicate the needed precision ( as FOX says ) because this is a really important factor.
Also you should indicate if you need a same precision during all of the 0 to 50MHz frequency band, or when the frequency increases then we can say that we need a lower precision?

mami_hacky said:
I Think this is really necessary for you to study a complete datasheet of one ADC, so that you can get familiar with different important parameters of an ADC.
Then the really important point, is to what device you want to connect this ADC ( as Fox says ) for example, suppose that you want to connect this ADC to a DSP from TI, then it is really better to choose the ADC from this company since the ADC can be connected directly to the DSP without any need to any additional glue logic. Or when connecting to Analog's DSPs, it is better to choose the ADC from that company. This way the design time can be reduced and you can get better results.
Any how, you should indicate the needed precision ( as FOX says ) because this is a really important factor.
Also you should indicate if you need a same precision during all of the 0 to 50MHz frequency band, or when the frequency increases then we can say that we need a lower precision?

fabulous advice for the choosing ADC from the same company I will choose DSP to avoid any glue in logic.

Yes of course the digitized signal is going to enter some 16-TAP Filter and FFT processor.

Sorry I did not refrazed myself right on the fact of precision which is going to be between 0-50Hz. The frequency if it is increasing is removed before by an anti-aliasing filter before ADC which will pass only 0-50Hz signals only.

I did not mention, also power consumption is a factor as application would be required to operate by battery.

If you were me mami_hacky, what chip would you use for ADC knowing the signal will end up to some DSP processor?

Many thanks mami_hacky.

I need to known the max interesting frequency of you desired signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.