Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog-Profibus slave controller using VPC3+CLF as ASIC and interfacing it with a uC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

onkar1111

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing my BE project on profibus slave module. Can any 1 help me how the interfacing of profibus ASIC is interfaced with any of the microcontrollers ? The ASIC provided to us is VPC3+CLF. and please help me on working of PROFIBUS and ASIC. What actually these devices are? Thanks.

What actually these devices are?
As stated on the profichip.com product page:
VPC3+C is a communication chip with 8 Bit Microprocessor interface for intelligent PROFIBUS slave applications.
All details can be found in the hardware manual. What's your particular problem with it?

yeah, i have the datasheet of VPC3...

i want to know, which of the microcontrollers is most compatible with VPC3+CLF ASIC?
Plz suggest some good micro controllers. i have worked on 8051 and PIC...would like to work on others too. i need ADC and DAC, as i am goin to interface them to uC.

I have chosen ARM 7 LPC 2148 for interfacing it with ASIC VPC3. Can any one please let me know whether ARM 7 family compatible with ASIC. Because the uC's that ASIC VPC3 datasheet or user manual have suggested are by Seimens, Motorola and Intel. But all of them suggested are now outdated. So, is the reason we are trying to work with LPC 2148. Please if any one have knowledge about this do reply, its needed as we are working on this new concept that no one have tried. We haven't got not a single reference about interfacing ASIC VPC3 with LPC 2148. Do contribute if it interests you. Thanks

I presume it's possible. ARM7 bus parameters are sufficiently programmable to match the timing requirements of the VPC3+ interface.

Sir, actually we have checked all the details like crystal oscillator, port mapping, serial USART, voltage requirement and all. They are pretty much going with the needs. We are working with profibus protocol which requires all the features that are with LPC2148. If you have details about profibus protocol in VPC3 please do contribute. Thanks

I have studied the features of VPC3+ many years ago, but I didn't start an actual project. Unfortunately I can't help you with details.

If you have details about profibus protocol in VPC3 please do contribute.

There are certainly examples available of how to implement a VPC3+ to microcontroller interface.

The VPC3+ API is freely offered as a download along with sufficient documentation to port the API to the LPC21xx series.

I have attached both the API source and some documentation for your convenience.

BigDog

Attachments

• VPC3-C-SWM500.pdf
    458.5 KB · Views: 90
  • VPC3-C-UM104.pdf
    598.3 KB · Views: 109
  • FE-TP-0405.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • VPC3_DPV0+app_example_V501.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 55
thanks a lot. it will surely help in project development. now the big task is to interface LPC2148 with VPC3, as instead of 8051 shown in the schematic.
Actually i have all the documents except 2 downloaded for my reference before. but still thanks for attaching them. We are now interfacing VPC3 by selecting the mode registers as per the user manual standards. hope it works well. the documentation you have attached also consist the hex and GSD files required for profibus interface. thanks for supporting and will keep posting about the development.

Status
Not open for further replies.