Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog differential input - how to make it measure 0V when floating

Status
Not open for further replies.

esm.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I am using an external ADC (MCP3421), 16-bit resolution, with internal PGA (internal gain) of 8x to read signals from a thermocouple type T. Within my current ADC configuration, the differential input impedance is around 280K.
But when the inputs are floating, the result of ADC conversions behaves incorrectly (negative and positive aleatory values, sometimes with high values are read from ADC).

I want this ADC to output conversion values near to zero when the inputs are floating, to detect a sensor fault, or sensor disconnected, for example.

How could I do a "pull down" to it? because the Vin- input (reference) and Vin+ input (input signal) from the ADC and and the digital ground of the IC are not in the same voltage reference.

Is it OK to short the inputs togather.

No, pull each input down to ground with its own resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.