Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog and digital ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco110

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
designers, what are the methods that you use to isolate / connect between the analog and digital grounds, pertaining on your pcbs.

The usual method is to have the analog and digital circuits on different areas of the board with their own ground and power planes under them. The ground planes are connected at a single point under the part of the circuit where the analog and digital signals are interfaced. Example of interfaces are ADC or DAC.

If you need them to be electrically joined at a star point, but treated as separate nets, then what I do is to have AGND go to pin of a TestLoop component and join pin 2 of that test loop to the GND starpoint. They are then electrically different nets, but you join them with a tespoint/testloop, which is useful for testing anyway. Applies if you use planes or tracks for either or both/many grounds.

Git

your question is not clear.
do you want to control any audio device with any dld or MUC etc?
make clear then i will tell you the answer

am i right to say a star topolgy is preferred? in other words, i will use different power and ground planes for analog and digital, and connect them at one single point? is using ferrite bead needed to connect between the grounds at that point? what is testloop component?

Because dgnd have more noise, and it may interfere agnd. So you'd better use a Ferrite Bead.

No no no no no!. A Ferrite bead will ADD inductance. For the digital side you want to keep power supply loop inductance as low as possible.

Yes, join grounds only at one place. By a TestLoop I mean a loop of tinned copper wire soldered into two pads about 150mil apart. It makes a good test point to hang a scope or meter lead on, and, as far as your PCB and Schematic program is concerned each side of that point is a different net. If one side is DGND and the other side is AGND, then that is your star point and you have fooled the program into thinking your grounds are not joined. If you join them you will get an error or worse still, they (AGND and DGND) will be routed as the same net.

Git

Hi Freinds,

Is there any software to simulate ground noise?

Regards

Hi,

For joining angd & dgnd,sometimes we are using ferrite bead, sometimes we are using 0 ohm resistor.

I would like to know, which one is best??

Ferrite bead will add inductance. For the potential between them is there is no problem But it act as a filter in the high frequency signal.
Hence it will prevent ripple due to anlog circuit noise.

Hi all, this is good topic to disscuss. I'm also new in mixed signal design. In some mixed signal IC (ADC or Analog mux), the AGND and DGND have it's own pin but some of them only have single pin GND. So how to deal with it in term of pcb design?

Hi Kousi,

Ferrite beads are also used to reduce power supply noise such as power bounce and GND bounce, ferrite beads are usually inserted between the power supply and Vcc terminal of an IC by trial and error.

Regards

Ramesh

use star topology when connecting different grounds

yup, star ground is the best to connect different ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back