Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

an unusual latch - high pulse makes output go low or high

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyboy

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AN UNUSUAL LATCH

I would like some help please,
I am new to logic based electronics and I am trying to build a circuit that behaves like a latch but what I need is for the latch to make the output go high when I apply a short high pulse to the input and the second time I apply the same short high pulse to the input I need the output to go low.
I have tried building a complimentary latch with transistors but can't unlatch it with the same input pulse, I have been looking at using nor and nand gates but can't figure out the combination to use to get the desired results.

I have 4001s,4011s,4013s,4060s, 555 timers NPNs & PNPs in my bits box.

Re: AN UNUSUAL LATCH

Use the 4013 D type latch

87_1249288910.jpg

Thanks for your reply, I give that a wee go :D

AN UNUSUAL LATCH

Hai uglyboy

I dont you try a latching relay?
A short pulse will make it to stay on one side, and another short pulse of the reverse will make it stay on the other side.

Regards
Nandhu

Hi nandhu015,

I wanted to keep my circuit solid state,
I am using the D type latch that Colbhaidh suggested,
It seems to be working fine,

Thanks again to both of you.

AN UNUSUAL LATCH

Hie uglyBoy,

You can even use a Bistable Multivibrator. Its a good Idea to use it in terms of understanding electronics its a good Application of IC 555 too. Learn it from somewhere, if cant let me know i will give you a good idea about it.

In a bistable multivibrator youhave 2 stable states (1 and 0) and can be used one after another by applying a short impulse whose width can be decised by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.