Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An Idea of Saving Money in PCB Prototyping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezpcb

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Set up fee are required by all PCB Prototyping manufactures. The fee is calculated by types of PCB. There's a way of saving money: jointing several PCB boards into one big board, then ask the manufacturers to devide them as your wish.
I had just told one of my new customers to joint 3 boards together, he is very exciting but I lost $120 set up fee...It's a bad idea for me, isn't it?

mike

--------------------------------------------------
www.ezpcb.com

Hi Mike,

but if you joint more PCBs into one how do you manage production? I suppose you have to manufacture the same quantity of PCBs for each kind, so this solution is ok only if the boards are related to the same project or system.

Did I understand well, or is it possible for example to manufacture 1K pcs of one PCB and 10K pcs of the other?

Andrea

Andrea said:
Hi Mike,

but if you joint more PCBs into one how do you manage production? I suppose you have to manufacture the same quantity of PCBs for each kind, so this solution is ok only if the boards are related to the same project or system.

Did I understand well, or is it possible for example to manufacture 1K pcs of one PCB and 10K pcs of the other?

Andrea
Hi Andrea:
You are right, the jointed PCB must have the same required quantity. That's why I said "In Prototyping". Infact the customers needn't to pay the setup fee when the quantity reachs several hundreds.
mike

---------------------------------------------------------
www.ezpcb.com

Andrea, to answer your question, you could step and repeat 10 smaller images on the same panel as one larger one to get your 10:1 ratio. V-score route everything and if you are clever and leave thieving area along the sides, you could even break the panel into two smaller panels, one containing the 1-up and the other containing the 10-ups and assemble them both seperately using the same hold down fixture.

juggernaut7 said:
Andrea, to answer your question, you could step and repeat 10 smaller images on the same panel as one larger one to get your 10:1 ratio. V-score route everything and if you are clever and leave thieving area along the sides, you could even break the panel into two smaller panels, one containing the 1-up and the other containing the 10-ups and assemble them both seperately using the same hold down fixture.

That's great for prototyping, :)
But not economical for mass production.
And such jointing are not allowed by most manufacturers.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back