Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An extremely weird question about ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerden

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
chip:pIC16F877

My question is that:
My program runs in the MPLAB simulator, but when I programmed the chip it did not work at all.

My disposition character is as follows:
watchdog timer : off
power up timer: off
brown out detect: off
low voltage program : off

who can help me?
thank you!

Hi,

Look in the data sheet for the setting for the OSC ( osillator ). About 90% of the time, its not configured corectly and then the PIC will not run.

If you found my answer useful, click on the button that says Helped me. ( NO points will be taken from you! )

Good luck.

kerden

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
kerden said:
chip:pIC16F877

My question is that:
My program runs in the MPLAB simulator, but when I programmed the chip it did not work at all.

My disposition character is as follows:
watchdog timer : off
power up timer: off
brown out detect: off
low voltage program : off

who can help me?
thank you!

First check the oscillation on the crystal pins. Second check that MCLR is high. Ensure that the VCC and GND are properly connected.

Cheers

Ravi

Set the power up timer to ON and check you have the right oscillator sellected.

Hi Kerden,
You said:
when I programmed the chip it did not work at all.
What do you mean? Did the ICD download your hex file, and the program didn't run as you expected, or would the ICD not download?

The difference is huge. If the ICD downloaded the hex, then I would follow the advice to check your oscillator fuse settings, and if you can, check with a scope that the oscillator is running. Perhaps a simple flash a led, just for debugging would be helpful. If both of these are a go, then your code isn't doing what you want.

On the other hand, if the ICD couldn't download the hex file, there is perhaps a problem with your target power supply. You should have a 1 to 10k pull-up resistor on the MCLR pin, and the power to your target should be very close to 5v.

More info would be helpful, to solve your problem. Please keep us posted.
Best wishes,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.