Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An absloute beginner, XPS/ISE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmilliken

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
integrated software environment and xps

Greetings, I am working on a project at UK, and need some help desperately.

I have a new Spartan -3AN starter kit. And I am running a Linux machine with CentOS 5.2

I need to know if I need Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS), or if I can get things done just using Xilinx Integrated Software Environment (ISE). Also, what is the difference between the two.

I have gotten (ISE) installed and running via the EDK DVD that came with the starter kit. I have installed the EDK as well (obviously).

Though the guide that came with the spartan-3AN board has tutorials solely focused on XPS, I have no idea where to get XPS from; it is not mentioned on the DVD case at all. I have looked here https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.htm, but the download center doesn't mention any program called Xilinx Platform Studio or XPS anywhere.

I am under the impression that I need to use XPS over ISE, but that is just a guess.

As a beginner (who has NEVER programmed an FPGA at all) please tell me what I should do!! I have been digging around the internet for hours and am quite sure I have looked at all available resources on FPGAs.

Thanks! Sorry for the long post, but I honestly don't have any idea what to do. Did you people have this hard of a time figuring this mess out? Haha

Hi jgmilliken

XPS is Xilinx Platform Studio . When you install EDK , you will have XPS too.

ISE is sufficient. First try some small examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.