Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplifying dc signal for measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpajuo

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a low current circuit where I want to log the current every 10s for a long period of time

The current jumps from about 100uA to 25mA.

I have a data logger that can log from 0 to 20 V, so I can add a 1 ohm resistor with the volt logger to measure current but it needs to be much higher.

If I amplify the current with a gain stage of 200 from 25mA to 5A, how can I revert back to normal operating current of the circuit? do I need a buffer stage?

My focus is on being able to read when the 25mA signal is on with the datta logger, the 100uA can be shown as 0 and does not matter

Input appreciated

You can use a differential amplifier assuming that the input voltage is in the opamp range

DiffAmp.jpg
The gain is set by Rf/R1

or you can use an Instrumentation Amplifier like AD620
(AD620)

You can use a shunt resistor that creates a voltage drop with the current and then use any of the above to amplify the voltage
Alex

Thanks for the reply

Ok, so I can use the op amp to make the gain into something noticeable for the datta logger.

I am trying to measure how many times a battery powered device goes into sleep mode (100uA) and transmit mode (25mA) over a long period of time with the data logger. So once I amplify the signal to eg 5V how can I lower it back to the 25mV range in order for the circuit not to get damaged?

This is what I am thinking of
**broken link removed**

I only have access to the two battery terminals which receive a constant voltage under normal operation.

So once I amplify the signal to eg 5V how can I lower it back to the 25mV range in order for the circuit not to get damaged?
What will be damaged?

For example with the 1ohm resistor and a differential amplifier with a gain of 50 you can get 0.025*1R=0.025*50=1.25v
this can be easily detected from your logger.

Alex

I mean something like
bat.gif

assuming that the battery - is also the ground

I was thinking using a low input offset comparator - if you just need to know low (uA) or high (25 mA) levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back