Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier/Reciever and Speaker Pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

val77459

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a receiver that says it's good for 2000W, and the user manual says Output is 240W @ 8 Ohm. I also had 2 Polk Speakers that handle 80W. I tried to keep the volume down so I didn't over power them, but at a party, someone turned them up and ruined them. I want to replace them, but don't want this to happen again. Is there some device that I can use to limit the power going to the speakers? Or do I need to add more speakers to distribute the power better? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!!
Pyle Receiver
Polk Speakers

The maximum amplifier power is much too high for the little speakers. Use an amplifier with lower power or use speakers that survive 240W. I had speakers about the size of yours rated on the label for 40W but they got damaged. Inside, the speaker was stamped 5W.

Some people use an incandescent light bulb in series with each speaker to limit the power to the speaker because the resistance of a light bulb increases (maybe 10 times) when it lights brightly.

The 80W into 8 ohms speaker max continuous voltage is 25.3V at 80W/25.3V= 3.16A.
The 240W into 8 ohms amplifier produces 43.8V.
The difference in voltage is 18.5V at 8.6A which is a 18.5V x 3.16A= 58.5W light bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.