Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier 2nd second stage topology clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetanGK

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am designing a front end for capacitive sensing application and mixer for lock-in demodulation. The mixer is double balanced voltage mode passive mixer (50% duty cycle) and LPF filter is differential RC filter for cut off frequency of 1KHz. Please find the attached image(system.png)

One of the mixer input is connected to amplifier output and the other input of the mixer is connected to reference voltage. The mixer's differential output is connected to differential RC LPF. The equivalent circuit (not sure though) can be seen from image (equivalent_load.png).

I am at stage of decide the second stage topology for my front end amplifier. As it is not typical capacitive load, I am not sure about what topology fits my application.

Amplifier specification(preliminary)
GBW ~ 400Mhz (based on Noise gain)
F3db = 20MHz (closed loop)
Noise gain ~ 15 (Cf = 60f , differential sensor cap = 700f )
Acl = 0.5
Aol = 65dB

Can someone please guide how to analyse the load for the amplifier and topology for second stage?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Chetan

Attachments

• equivalent_load.png
    equivalent_load.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 179
  • system.png
    system.png
    18 KB · Views: 167

Where exactly would you like to put the 2nd amplifier?

The Acl is GBW / F3db =400MHz/20MHz=20, why Acl = 0.5 ?

@t4_v _c
I wanted to decide on the second stage of 1st amplifier ...(meaning Class AB output stage or Class A stage)

@shanmei
The sensor at the input of amplifer is differential sensor. The difference in charge is being sensed. The total cap seen by the amplifier is summation of 2 sensors (ref capacitor and sense capacitor),hence the f3db of close loop system: F3db = F_gbw * Cf/(Cf + Cref + Csense)
If I need f3db to be 20Mhz , then with my sensor values I need GBW to be 400Mhz.

Reference: Analysis of non-ideal characteristics of an ac-based capacitance transducer for tomography

Follow up question:
Is it possible to achieve 400Mhz GBW in 350nm technology??

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back