Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplification of output of linear potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

anju420

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I amplify and digitize the output of a 10k,100mm,0.5W linear potentiometer? any available circuits? do i simply use an instrumentation amplifier and ADC...and interface it directly to my FPGA?

If all you want is the position for your FPGA then you don't need to amplify anything. Connect the ends of the pot to ground and the positive supply and the wiper to the ADC input.

Keith

well...yes, my aim is to trace out the position of a piston/plunger...can i connect a linear pot of any rating thru the ADC to my FPGA?...any design considerations i need to look into to select my ADC?

Yes that should be fine with any pot and ADC. You may need to add a capacitor to ground of the pot wiper - ADCs often don't like high driving resistances. Make sure the ADC can handle the input range (although you could easily add fixed resistors to the pot to reduce it's range).

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.