Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplification and DC offset circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I have a circuit that outputs a voltage between 4 and 7 V at a constant current...this output should go into a circuit that expects a 0 to 15 V input level.

I don't know ahead of time what the output between 40 and 70 will be, the low limit may be 4.5 or 5.0 V and the high limit may be 7.5 or 8.0 V for example.

What needs to happen is that the low limit gets mapped to 0V and the high limit gets mapped to 15 V.

Is there a circuit that can do this without too much pain?

Thank you!

What do you mean with "get mapped"? Manual adjustment, some kind of self calibration? As with any specification, required accuracy and long term stability should be told to be complete.

For now let's say that it would be a manual adjustment -- using some on-board potentiometers for example.

Also in the first pass, longer term drift/stability/etc. are not important; this is merely because the output of this circuit goes into a DAC and I'd like to use the full range of the DAC for a circuit that will present a smaller range of values (i.e. 'map' the 4 - 7 V output into a 0 - 15 V DAC input).

Thanks!

It's basically a subtractor and a gain stage, can be made with one or two OPs. To design a circuit, one should know about the available power supply (single or dual supply, e.g. +/- 15V ?).

Assume a single power supply if possible, +15V. Thanks!

A simple single OP solution, but it doesn't allow independant adjustment of gain and offset. It's not easy to achieve with single supply I think.

55_1284821138.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.