Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium: Viewing multi-layer pads in current layer color

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcasciola

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Short version: Is there a way to view multilayer through hole pads in the color of the currently selected copper layer, rather than in the 'Multilayer' color in Altium's Layer Select options window?

Longer Version: I have been trying to figure out, without success, a way to view multilayer pads so that they show up on each layer the color that the copper is in that layer, not the "multi-layer" color.

For example, I have a Top-Middle-Bottom round pad. Top and Middle diameters are both 0.5mm. The Bottom diameter is 1mm. When viewing the board, since this multilayer pad shows all layers as the same color, what I see is the pad as the largest diameter of any enabled layer, and I cannot tell whether or not this pad is flipped and on which side of the board the 1mm diameter is and on which side the 0.5mm diameter pad is. The only way I can tell is to turn off all signal layers except the Top or Bottom. When only the Top or the Bottom (but not both) are enabled, I can then see the diameter of the pad. The other way is to go to 3D mode and rotate the board so that I am viewing from an angle.

It would be nice to have a way that showed the pad as the diameter that it is on the current layer, in that layer's color. That's the way it worked in P-CAD. What would be even nicer would be to see the multilayer pad in (possibly) multiple colors. For instance, if the pad is 0.5 mm on the Top (Red) and 1.0mm on the Bottom (Blue) and if my current layer is Top, I would see a 0.5mm Red circle on top of a 1.0mm Blue circle. If my layer were set to Bottom, then I'd see only the Blue unless I were in one of the translucent modes.

Maybe there is a way to do this, but I could not find it.

Thanks,

Randy

have you tried this single layer mode?
you need to turn off the multilayer first though.
When you cycle through the layers the multilayer pads have the same colour as the layer cololur.

rcasciola

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Loosemoose,

If I go to Layer Select >> View Options and in the Single Layer Mode drop down select any of the three options that is NOT "Not in Single Layer Mode", then the TH pads are all still the "Multi-layer" color. Is there somewhere else I need to change something?

Thanks,

Randy

you can toggle between single layer and multilayer using SHIFT+S.

rcasciola

Even so, using Shift+S still has the through hole pads show up as the 'Multi-layer' color, not the color of the currently selected copper layer.

But even so, the way you suggest it is a fairly quick way to accomplish what I need to, even if it is not as quick as being able to do it the way I would like (and the way that P-CAD could).

Thanks again,

Randy

in the colour tab at bottom "right click" your mouse from there select the layer order and you will be displayed with a list of layer order, there "Multilayer" is on top which you can move down or rather you can move up the "Current layer" on top and you will have you problem sorted out.

rcasciola

Hi Anonymous_Ricky,

Sorry to be so dense, but I tried your suggestion. I demoted "Multi Layer" below "Current Layer". Still, through hole pads always show up as the gray color which is the default "Multi Layer" color. I've even tried to turn off the "Multi Layer" layer and pads still show up as that gray color. I must still be doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Randy

Sorry Randy,

But i will chk it out and let you know as I am not using altium now and have to install it and see.
I remember that it will show multi layer pads as gray only but there must be an option I will give it a try and let you know if I come up with something ASAP.

BR,
Ricky

Did you ever solve this one Randy?. It's always bugged me and I've nbever found a way round it.

Git

Multilayer pads/vias can not be shown in layer color in single layer mode. They always have their distinctive colour. Only pads that are not multilayer, i.e. SMD pads are shown in appropriate layers colour. That behaviour is since Protel (Altium) begun its way in EDA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back