Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium: Updating PCB from footprint libraries doesn't stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostrildamus

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've inherited a design that needs to get some updates and fixes. All of the schematic work is done and compiles without error or warning. Now I am editing the PCB but am having quite a bit of trouble.

Going to tools->update PCB from libraries seems to work. It comes up with a long list of parts whose footprints don't match the libraries. No problem. Validate the changes, execute the changes, wait a while, great. When I try doing it again I get the exact same list of unmatched footprints.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

An observation that may help provide some insight.

Almost all of the unmatched components have a different 2D rotation value between the library and the PCB, but executing the ECO doesn't seem to change that value on the PCB in any permanent way.

I'm not sure if I understand the problem fully but could it be that you are using a different version of the library?

[...]could it be that you are using a different version of the library?

I'm not quite sure what you mean - we use a shared integrated library that is synchronized via SVN. We're pretty religious about syncing/updating, so I think everything should be the same. Is it possible for a PCB to point to a different set of libraries than the schematic? As far as I can tell, you can't set the libraries when editing a PCB, so that leads me to believe that it's inherited from the schematic.

Some further information: If I edit some of the footprints in the library and execute the same procedure, I get N + M footprints that need to be updated on the PCB. If I press the button and execute the change, everything seems to work. When I come back and do the same update procedure again, I get N footprints that are wrong. They all seem to be "wrong" by some angle of rotation.

N = sticky footprints
M = ones I've edited since last update

Furthermore, my colleague can open the exact same project out of SVN and do the same procedure, and have no problems. That leads me to suspect that there's some problem with the way that I have my libraries set up, but as far as I can tell (from scrolling through the project configuration menus) my setup is identical to hers.

Did you get any resolution to this problem? I am having exactly the problem with quite a large design.

I have found thta it complains about the 3D extruded model on top assmembly SM, top courtyard layers etc stating that "Model2D.Roatation =360 on PCB and 270 in Library.

I have made a test design and place a few components direct from the library (MySQL parameter library with standard Symbols and Footprints Libraries files - no svn) .I run the Tools-> update from PCB libraries and all is ok. rotate on of the parts and run update again and then get the error. Allow it to make the change but error doesnt go away.

I have tried this on ALtium 10 and it doesn sho the problem - however, on my large design opened in Altium 10 once I get to the end of "matching components" it just bombs out with an error "Access violation at address 095c7af0 in module WorkspaceManager.DLL. read of address 0000000 at 095c7af0 - Exception Occurred in Document Options.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nigel

Did you get any resolution to this problem? I am having exactly the problem with quite a large design.

I have found thta it complains about the 3D extruded model on top assmembly SM, top courtyard layers etc stating that "Model2D.Roatation =360 on PCB and 270 in Library.

I have made a test design and place a few components direct from the library (MySQL parameter library with standard Symbols and Footprints Libraries files - no svn) .I run the Tools-> update from PCB libraries and all is ok. rotate on of the parts and run update again and then get the error. Allow it to make the change but error doesnt go away.

I have tried this on ALtium 10 and it doesn sho the problem - however, on my large design opened in Altium 10 once I get to the end of "matching components" it just bombs out with an error "Access violation at address 095c7af0 in module WorkspaceManager.DLL. read of address 0000000 at 095c7af0 - Exception Occurred in Document Options.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nigel

HI,
I am importing an Orcad pcboard in Altium and right at the middle of the convertion I am getting this message: In altium access violation at address 18EOA1C7 in module 'Loadorcad.dll'. Write of address 00000021 at 18EOA1C7.

Help please, Anybody seen this message before?
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back