Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium: Template Creation from Schematic File

Status
Not open for further replies.

cciarleg

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm still figuring out altium and I have a schematic file with a template in it (title blocks and outer edge), but no template file itself. Is there a way to create a template file from the schematic I have? Just copy out of the schematic or something? I need to edit the title blocks but cannot do so from the schematic.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
You can find the default templates for altium in your installation folder.
The schematic whatever you are using is in the .Doc format(not editable) but whatever you can find in installation folder is in .Dot format(editable format).
You can take one of this .Dot format file of required size save it somewhere and open it in altium and edit it.
After that in .Doc format file you go to design /project templates/ choose a file here you browse for the edited .Dot format file and update the .Doc format schematic.
And also you can set .Dot format file as your default schematic file.

**broken link removed**
https://www.altium.com/files/training/module 4 - schematic capture.pdf (See schematic template section)

I'm afraid I still don't quite understand.

I have a .SchDoc file that had a template file at some point, but I don't have the template file.

I would like to recreate the template from the schematic. Even if I save my .ShcDoc as a .SchDot I still cannot edit it.

It sounds like I need to take a random/blank template and redo the one I want from scratch. As this template is rather unique, I was hoping to avoid that-but it sounds as though I don't have a choice.

Is that pretty much the best option? Just recreate the template in a blank file since I cannot edit the one I have?

Thanks.

Hi,
You can find the .SchDot file in public documents, this document is editable.
Take the copy of this document, edit it as per your requirement and save it.

Then open new schematic which is in .SchDoc format, then go to Design/project templates/choose file
Now your .SchDoc file will be updated as in the .SchDot format.

And if you required your edited template as to be your default template whenever you open schematic document, set the path in preferences
Go to preferences under system select new document defaults there select schematic and browse for your edited template and add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back