Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium: Multi-Channel with a Multi Part Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzmac16v

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to learn Altium Designer, but I have kind of hit a wall.

I have 9 identical circuits that I have defined using a sheet symbol with the Repeat(sheetname,1,9). Seems to work great, except I have a component that has 2 identical parts (A dual gain Amplifier, LM6172). Each circuit only needs to use one of the amplifiers. However, I cannot get the next circuit to use the second amplifier from that component. Instead of having 5 LM6172s with each circuit using one of the amplifiers, I get 9 LM6172s and an unused sub-part on each component.

Anyway to fix this? I have been pulling my hair out for the last couple days! It has to be something simple that I am just not seeing!

Thanks,
Jim

Hello,

Just place amplifier and enter the properties. See picture where you can change wich part will be shown.

That will only change which part will be used. So if I select 1, every 'channel' uses part 1 of the component. Select 2 and every 'channel' uses part 2. I never get different channels using the same component.

Thanks,
Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Please excuse the incompleteness of the design, I am just trying to figure out how to use Altium and will finish the design later.

Anyway, here are some pics of what is going on:

TopSheet is where I define the sheet with a repeat command:

The current sensor sheet:

The properties of the Amplifier:

One of the circuits after compiling:

Properties of the Amplifier after compiling:

Altium seems to create new components for each channel based on the name of the channel, making it impossible for me to just tell it to use a different part from a component in another channel.

Maybe I am just approaching the problem wrong?
Thanks,
Jim

Hmmm...maybe if you use Repeat that's mean that all parts must be identical. Try to make CurrentSensor.DocSch that will contain 2 channel with both used amplifiers.

While that would probably work OK for my CurrentSensors, it will pretty much eliminate the usefulness of the repeat command when I move to my digital IOs which will all go through a buffer chip with 14 channels.

There has to be a way to accomplish what I am trying to do, use one schematic multiple times and exploit the multi-part functionality of components. Seems like it would be an extremely common task. Maybe the Repeat command is not the correct way to do this?

I really appreciate the input!
Jim

I'm bumping this, because I have the exact same problem. Does anybody know the answer? Jim, what did you eventually decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back