Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Designer Panelizing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

difflvl

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I panelize multiple designs in Altium Designer? I have 3 designs all with the same layer stack that I want to panelize on one panel.

Thanks

If you are using version 6.3 or higher, you can use Embedded Board Array. Open a new PCB document, define the stackup the same as your boards, define the panel size, go to 'Place>Embedded Board Array'. You will be asked in the dialog how many boards you want to place in the array.

Embedded Board Array sets up pointers to the original board files such that if you change any of the boards in the panel, the changes carry over automatically to the panel. There is documentation available in the "Help" subdirectory. Let me know if you can't find it.

@ltium Designer Panelizing question

HouseCat thanks for the reply, okay so I need to define the stackup identical to my 3 different designs, then change the board/panel size to what I need, then I use the embedded board array and place the various designs on the board. Sounds good, one question though, when I do that, will the boards be v-scored or something similar so they can snap off? or is it going to be one solid board. Is there any other/extra step necessary to make the boards snap-able?

Again thanks for the help.

The embedded board array is just like any other panelizing procedure. You will have to add the v-scoring, mouse-nibbles, or route-out information on a mechanical layer of the array to guide your board fab - just as you would with an individual board.

I usually include my individual board outlines on a mechanical layer, and tell the fab that is outline layer for routing the boards out of the panel. I leave a tool allowance between individual boards to ensure that the fab has room to work.

The documentation on Embedded Board Array can be found starting on page 95 of "TR0112 PCB Editor and Object Reference.pdf". You'll find that document in the Help sub-directory of your software installation.

If you want to review a more difficult, but traditional, approach to panelizing - look at "AR0120 CAMtastic Panels for Fabrication and Assembly.PDF". That document is in the same directory.

Reactions: HW_geek

difflvl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

HW_geek

HouseCat,

How would I add v-scoring or mouse-nibbles?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help

You use lines and notes on a mechanical layer in the board array PCBDOC, or you put them in your individual board layouts. All you are trying to do is give guidance to your board fab. If you give them a call and talk to them, they will tell you what they like to see on a drawing to tell them what needs to be done.

I usually include the routing and mouse nibbles on the individual board layouts. Then it is all there on the final panel without any additional work.

It really doesn't matter whether you put the info in the board array document or the individual boards. As long as your board fab understands what you want done. If you need documentation for the panel, including dimensioning, then you'll have to do that in the array panel PCBDOC.

Reactions: HW_geek

difflvl

HW_geek

Thanks

Hi,

I Created panel in altium but that assembly PDF not coming with variant what will do? please help me every one ? I need Assembly PDF with variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back